Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Missing Task Scheduler entry for Optane Memory Optimization

MMiny
Beginner

Hi, I would like to set a time for Optane memory optimization. I read other posts about specifying a time via the Task Scheduler entry for Optane. When I go to Task Scheduler though and look under the Intel "folder," there are no entries (below is a screenshot of my Task Scheduler screen). Does this mean something is wrong with my Optane install?

Under the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, the Current Status is "functioning normally" and Optane memory status is enabled. I can't find any optimization statistics or a report of when the last optimization occurred though.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi mhminyard,

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory that is not shown in the task scheduler.

We would like to inform you that this feature is only available with the 32GB Optane™ Memory. The 16GB version does not have this option.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
MMiny
Beginner

Thanks for your reply. Is there any method of controlling the schedule with the 16GB version? Or alternatively, any method of verifying that optimization is occurring as expected?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mhminyard,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that this option is only available in the 32GB version of the Optane™ Memory because it has Block cache and File cache. The 16GB only has Block cache. The file cache is the one that allows you to schedule the task.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi mhminyard,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
JBojs
Beginner

I have the 32 GB Intel Optane and I still don't see the Task Scheduler entry?

I'm running in RST RAID mode.

Also, the Optimization process when the computer starts up is broken. Here is what happens:

1) The PC boots. Then I see the Optane optimization process appear but no matter how long I wait nothing happens (see attachment Optane 1.jpg)

2) If I press a key then optimization phase 1 starts (see attachment Optane 2.jpg)

3) As soon as phase one completes I get the message that the optimization process is cancelled (see attachment Optane 3.jpg).

Phase 2 is obviously cancelled because I press any key. However, I have to press a key to get phase one started in the first place. Sooo, what do I do?!

My mother board is ASUS TUF X299 Mark 2 running on latest BIOS 1004.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jasperhb,

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide us with the following information:

*Could you please let us know if you get this error message every time you turn on the system? Or do you get the error when you try to enable the Optane(TM) memory?

*Could you please confirm the brand and model of the drive you are trying to accelerate?

*Could you please let us know if you have a third party acceleration software installed on your system?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
JBojs
Beginner

Thank you.

Let me answer your three questions.

a) Yes, I experience this problem every time to start the system.

b) The drive I'm trying to accelerate is a Samsung SSD Pro 850 2TB. Admittedly, this was not the drive I originally intended to optimise. I also, had HDD's in my system, and it was an HDD I wanted to accelerate. However, as I started using Optane I recognised that it apparently will only work on the system drive. So, now I want to see if it can add just a bit more speed this my SSD. Of course if you can explain to me how I might use the Optane to accelerate one or more of my HDD drives then I'm all ears?

c) I have not 3rd party acceleration installed.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jasperhb,

Thanks for the information provided.

Could you please let us know if you have a software installed from Samsung*. If so, which?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
JBojs
Beginner

Hi,

Yes. I have Samsung Magic 5.0 installed.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JBojs
Beginner

One more observation.

I was having issues with Windows 10 not shutting down. It would start the shutdown process but never go al the way down and instead return back to the log-on screen. To work around this I disabled Fast startup.

After disabling Fast Startup, the PC would shutdown again. AND, the next time I tried started it up it would not show the Optane Optimization text (from the picture shared earlier) at boot time?!

What is going on here? I never had any issues shutting the PC down before adding the Optane Memory.

One more piece of information. To get Optane to work in the first place I also converted the disk from MBR to GPT.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thanks for the reply.

It seems that the situation was regarding timing issues caused by the Fast Startup. If you have this feature enable you will get some conflicts related to the Optane(TM) module not been able to accelerate the drive because Windows* will try to do it instead of the module. We recommend you to keep this feature off in order to get the module working properly.

We would like to inform you that the Optane(TM) only works with the GPT partition. Optane(TM) does not work with the MBR partition.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos