Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

My Optane Accelerated hard drive disappears several hours after booting my windows 10 computer. Then when I reboot it appears again. How can i fix this issue?

DFarm2
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JMori3,

Thank you for the information.

I can see that you don’t have the unallocated reserved space necessary at the end of the booting drive for the Intel® Optane™ Memory to work correctly.

This might be related to the issue you are currently having, so my recommendation is to create this reserved space of at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the booting drive. It should look like in the picture below:

Partitions.JPG

This unallocated space is necessary to store configuration information to successfully pair the SATA drive with the module. 

I haven’t seen a similar issue before, but since you don’t have that space, it might be possible that after booting or after working some time, the system stops recognizing the drive paired with the module because there is no space to store this configuration data. 

I recommend you to create this unallocated space and check again if the issue still happens.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DFarm2, Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions (this to have a better view on how your SSD is detected by the OS) • We will like to know if you are using the latest version of the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28413) that is the version: 16.8.0.1000. We will be looking forward to your reply including this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DFarm2, Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support. We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case? Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello DFarm2, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JMori3
Beginner

Hi,

I'm having the same exact issue except that sometimes rebooting won't do anything. Sometimes i have to unplug the entire computer for a few minutes boot it back up and then the Optane and the 3TB HDD behind comes back.

I had that issue with IRST 16.7 and updated to 16.8 but still getting the issue.

Any ideas at why it does that?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello JMori3, Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions (this to have a better view on how your SSD is detected by the OS) We will be looking forward to your reply including this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JMori3
Beginner

Hi Josh,

Here are the files you requested.

I have both when the Optane is working correctly and also when it's not.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JMori3
Beginner

With the Optane working

0 Kudos
JMori3
Beginner

With the Optane not working

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JMori3,

Thank you for the information.

I can see that you don’t have the unallocated reserved space necessary at the end of the booting drive for the Intel® Optane™ Memory to work correctly.

This might be related to the issue you are currently having, so my recommendation is to create this reserved space of at least 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the booting drive. It should look like in the picture below:

Partitions.JPG

This unallocated space is necessary to store configuration information to successfully pair the SATA drive with the module. 

I haven’t seen a similar issue before, but since you don’t have that space, it might be possible that after booting or after working some time, the system stops recognizing the drive paired with the module because there is no space to store this configuration data. 

I recommend you to create this unallocated space and check again if the issue still happens.

We’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JMori3,

I just realized you had a new thread for this issue, so let's continue there to avoid confusions: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004AvIHASA3/loosing-my-optane-sometimes-comes-back-after-reboothard-reset

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos