Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Need help with SSD offline with metadata error that won't fix

ADunb
Beginner

I bought a used HP Envy 750-624 that has Intel Rapid Storage Technology installed... the SSD shows to be Offline with 13gb of metadata potentially a problem... when I try to clear the metadat I get error 0xA00000AA - an unknown error occured while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed. I can't access the SSD and have no idea where to start.... I bought this hoping for the SSD to startup the system and let the HD just store info.... I get a warning notice when I start up the system... I'd like it to work ... what should I do?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

I understand that you are currently experiencing problems with the SSD since it shows as offline.

I would like to start by asking, what is the model of the SSD? Also, please provide me with an Intel ® System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Once we have this information we will be able to assist you further with your inquiry.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADunb
Beginner

Hi David.... I've attached the report.... the summary and detailed versions.... per the Intel Driver & Support Assistant report that I generated 2 days ago, my SSD shows up as: NVMe INTEL MEMPEK1W01 with 0.00 GB Capacity, Firmware Version 0310, Serial Number PHBT72730A40016D_00000001, 0 Partitions, Microsoft Driver Version 10.0.17134.1 with a 6/21/2006 Driver Date ... I have the Device ID also....

I'm pretty new to this, but I'm hoping we can make it work....

Thanks!

April D.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

Thank you for your response.

I am currently reviewing the information in the report. Thank you, in the meantime however, I would like to have more information of the problem. Is this a problem of the SSD itself or are you having a problem with Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology?

In other words, are you able to use the SSD properly? For example: If you go to your system, are you able to see it there? Are you able to access it?

Please let me know.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADunb
Beginner

Hi David.... Thanks for your response.... since this is my first adventure with Rapid Storage Technology and a CPU with a SSD maybe my answer is both.... everytime I start up my computer, I get an IAStorlcon notification telling me that "Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Your system is reporting one or more warnings and data may be at risk. Open the application for details" when I open the application my SATA disk has a green check, but the PCle SSD has a warning... as does the Current Status which is sending me to the Manage area for the "PCle SSD on Controller 1, Port 0: Offline (underlined in blue text it says) Clear metadata On the Storage System View it shows the SSD as 13 GB (which confuses me since it is larger than that). When I click on the Clear metadata I get a warning to back up data before continuing and Clearing metadata will permanently delete any existing data on that disk. Are you sure you want to continue. I click YES and get the IRST box with a red X and the (0xA00000AA): An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed. All I can do is Close the box. I do not understand why the storage view shows the SSD as 13GB, but the report says 0.... I don't know how to make the Offline status change. so I hope I've answered your questions enough so you can help.... I do have Team Viewer loaded, if that helps at all. April

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

That gives me a little more background of the current problem. I am still missing however, the model of the SSD you have. Also, I would like you to provide me with a screenshot of the Disk Management so I can have a look at the drives connected.

Also, if possible, please follow the steps below in order to create and attach the system report that can be generated by Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Make sure not to copy and paste it in the reply box, but use the "attach" button instead, located on the lower right corner of the reply box, attach both the report and the screenshot requested please.

I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
ADunb
Beginner

Hi David.... I've snipped and attached both the Manage Disk and Status screens of my IRST....and also attached the System Utility Report.... as far as the model of the SSD, it should be whatever was put into the system at HP... I did an Intel Driver & Support Assistant Report last week and printed it... under Storage it shows the following info for the SSD:

NVMe INTEL MEMPEK1W01

Capacity 0.00 GB

Firmware Version 0310

Serial Number PHBT72730A40016D_00000001

Partitions 0

Driver Provider Microsoft

Driver Version 10.0.17134.1

Driver Date 06/21/2006

Device Id SCSI/DICK&VEN_NVME&PROD_INTEL_MEMPEK1W01\4&25086D38&0&060800

Hope that helps.... I have this week to solve this issue.... next week I will be on travel and then vacation until early October.... hopefully, we can figure it out before I leave. Thanks for all your help!

April

0 Kudos
ADunb
Beginner

Sorry David... in the SDD info that I tried to type it's SCSI\DISK&VEN..... not DICK.... my fingers messed that up....

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

No problem at all, upon review of the information you have provided, I was able to find that you are trying to configure an Intel ® Optane Memory 16GB. This product is supported by a different support team. I will proceed to transfer this case to the appropriate team so that you can get the assistance you require.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

I have checked all the information you have provided to David about your issue with the RST software.

As an initial clarification the 13GB module you are seeing and that shows you an error is an Intel® Optane™ Memory module. Which is used to accelerate slower SATA storage drives. If you are looking to accelerate your primary storage device it would be recommended for you to follow the steps described in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000023989/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

For system acceleration the Optane Memory UI is easier to set up and works very well. Additionally to this steps you will need to confirm your BIOS is Optane ready, in this case you will need to access the BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI or RAID to "Intel RST premium and system acceleration". If your BIOS does not display this option you will need to contact the manufacturer of your computer so they can assist you with a BIOS update and their own steps to enable the Optane memory.

Hope this information helps you, please let me know if you have any additional question.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
ADunb
Beginner

Thanks Juan.... it sounds like we are getting close.... I need some help with "you will need to confirm your BIOS is Optane ready, in this case you will need to access the BIOS and change the SATA mode from AHCI or RAID to "Intel RST premium and system acceleration"." .... I cannot figure out how to get to the BIOS to change the SATA mode in Windows 10. I've looked at several suggestions online, but haven't been successful.... can you tell me the steps I should take please?

April

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello April418,

I am glad my explanation helped to clarify your question.

To check for the SATA settings you need to access the BIOS of your computer. Accessing the BIOS may vary between manufacturers according to HP you need to turn off your computer, wait 5 seconds or more, start your computer, before the Windows loading screen shows up you need to press F2 (you can do this several times to be sure you access). Regularly the SATA mode can be found under the Advanced Options TAB. However for a detailed guide on how to change the SATA mode the best option is to contact HP.

According to the information you shared you are using RST to install Optane. Have you tried to set up the Optane memory with the Optane UI? If you haven't it would be recommended to do so. To do this in a proper way you need to uninstall the RST software first and then install the Optane UI in your computer. Here is the link to download the Optane memory UI:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28072/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

If you use the Optane UI there is no need to change the SATA mode in your BIOS.

Hope this information helps. If you need any additional information let me know.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi April418,

I was wondering if you were able to solve the issue or if there is anything else you need assistance with.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos