Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane Memory and Samsung 850 EVO SSD

WKuml
Beginner

Hello,

I am running a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD for my OS that only operates in AHCI Mode. I also have a 32GB Intel Optane Memory board that I just installed and it seems that I can only use one or the other.

Relevant system specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Intel Core i7 7700 Kaby Lake @3.6GHz

32GB Corsair DDR4

ASUS Maximus IX Hero Motherboard with Intel Z270 Chipset

2TB Seagate HDD (Storage)

1TB WD Caviar HDD (Storage)

If I change the PCH setting in my Motherboard's BIOS from AHCI Mode to Intel's RST, the system will not boot.

Is there a work-around for this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
32 Replies
BTrai
Beginner

OK, after using 3rd party disk maintenance software to delete the recovery partition, and running the SetupOptaneMemory.exe one more time, it seemed to finally work.

It warned me that this was a 1-way process that couldn't be uninstalled, then it did a few reboots, and finally it shows "Enabled" when I pass my mouse pointed over the little Intel icon in the bottom right of the task bar.

However, I am now getting a new and weird error when I boot up

The new problem is described by someone else on the Microsoft forum, here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/intelr-network-adapter-diagnostic-driver-unsigned/f2a80d45-c907-4a36-bb41-770e4d023e6a Intel(R) Network Adapter Diagnostic Driver - unsigned driver - Microsoft Community

There is something that the Optane software is trying to install, that Windows is blocking because it is digitally unsigned.

I am pretty worried that means the Optane software has only partially installed, and rendered my system unstable.

I don't have WiFi on this PC, and the network driver seems otherwise to work properly.

0 Kudos
WKuml
Beginner

After seeing that, and since I am using a wireless internet connection on my PC, I will wait for Intel to release a new version of the Optane Memory Software.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AgCN3,

The situation with that specific message "Unsupported System Drive: Last Partition Unable to Resize Error", can be fixed using the link provided above and the third party tools included.

Please let us know if it works for you as well.

optane_frustration,

Could you please share with us your system information? Please use https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- this link to install the System Support Utility and attach the file here.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BTrai
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Optane_frustration,

Thanks for the logs provided.

We have checked the logs and it shows your system uses the Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-V with driver version: 12.15.23.7.

We would like you to please https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10-?wapkw=ethernet+connection+%282%29+i219+v download this driver and install it. This one is the latest one from Intel's website, Version: 12.15.25.6, Date: 03/21/2017.

AgCN3

Please let us know if your setup worked, we have not seen any other related situation with drivers not digitally signed.

Please let us know if this worked and if the message is gone after the update.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BTrai
Beginner

OK, I take it that your investigation of the logs showed that the Optane software was installed and stable on my PC.

I installed that new network driver and no digital signing errors have shown up yet.

That error only showed up on the first boot after Optane installation, with my old network driver.

So it seems to be a random event, as was the same complaint on the Microsoft forum, regardless of which network driver is being used with Optane. The person complaining on the MS forum did not mention if they had Optane enabled.

My system seems stable at the moment, I will post back if weird things start happening again.

Thanks for your help, and thanks especially to AgCN3 for starting this thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Optane_frustration,

Thanks for replying back with your results and we are glad to hear the driver installed properly.

Please keep us posted with any updates.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
WKuml
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

Today I downloaded the AOMEI Partition Assistant Software and used it to Re-Size my Recovery Partition from 450MB, to 400MB, and then ran SetupOptaneMemory.exe as downloaded previously from the Intel site. It ran the install, setup the chip, then rebooted. Upon re-boot, the Optane Software asked if I wanted to complete the installation, to which I clicked "Yes" and I got this in return:

I re-booted the machine, and got the same error message.

Attached are the log files...

-Will

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello AgCN3,

We would like you to please check https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024113.html this link for you to be able to fix this particular error code: 0xA008001F, (You can search for the information using the error number)

According to the error code list, all you need to do is to re-install the application. Please let us know if this works.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
WKuml
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

I uninstalled the Optane Memory driver, and re-booted. I then went and re-downloaded the "SetupOptaneMemory.exe" file again, and saved it to one of my SATA Drives.

I disabled my Anti-Virus software and ran the program again.

This time I got this error which is not listed in the link you provided previously:

0 Kudos
WKuml
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

Okay this is bizarre...

After getting the error listed above, I attempted to re-enable the Optane Chip, and it caused the system to hang and become completely unresponsive. So, I pressed the "Reset" button and forced the System to re-boot.

Upon rebooting, the Optane Software said that it was enabling the Optane Memory Chip, and then when I opened the Optane Application, it says that the Optane Chip is Enabled and is now Accelerating my system.

So, I guess it fixed itself?

Thanks for all of your help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi AgCN3,

That only could mean that it is up and running now. It is weird that it went unresponsive but then successfully activated.

You can definitely say it is fixed and working.

Please keep us posted if any other issue comes up.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos