Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Optane Secondary Data Drive Acceleration

AJohn19
Beginner

I'm considering upgrading my OS drive to a NVMe drive. Can I still use an Optane drive for just the secondary data drive?

Also does Optane accelerate just the OS or a data drive or will it accelerate both pending I'm not using an NVMe drive for my OS drive?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html Secondary/Data SATA Drive Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Memory

Doc

0 Kudos
AJohn19
Beginner

Yea I read that but it didn't specifically answer my question.

I did find this though:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory

I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel® Optane memory boost the performance of multiple drives?

No, Intel® Optane™ memory can accelerate one SATA-based drive.

I guess that answers my question. I'm guessing you just select the drive in the software and that's it? I shouldn't have any issues with my OS being on an NVMe drive then?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Jajao555,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory can be used to accelerate your primary drive, or a secondary drive in your system, as long as the drive is a SATA drive. This means that if you want to accelerate a booting drive, this one must be a SATA drive, or on the other hand, if you want to accelerate a secondary drive, this one must be a SATA drive too (but the primary drive can be an NVMe* drive because you are not accelerating that one).

However, you have to consider that only one drive can be accelerated. It's not possible to accelerate the primary drive and the secondary drive at the same time.

When you are setting up the module, you can select from the application which drive you want to accelerate as long as the drive meets the requirements.

Please also consider that your system must meet the requirements for secondary drive acceleration, otherwise it won't be possible to accomplish this: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027987/memory-and-storage.html?_ga=2.53441194.385238245.1542651549-1716436649.1536075640

I hope this clarifies your concern about the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AJohn19
Beginner

Yes that answers my question clearly.

I have the i5-7600k and an ASRock Z270 motherboard but they don't have the 16.0.2 drivers for the secondary drive yet. They have them for the Z370 boards though.

I put in a request to see if they'll ever update the Z270s. Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos