Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Optane issues - error

mkokk
Beginner

I've been trying to get this optane stick to work everyday for a week and now optane wont work because my operating system needs to be installed on a SATA controller equipped with Rapid Storage Tech ? At least that's what the new error is telling me.

What does that even mean ? it makes it sound like I need to plug my HDD into a different SATA port, which I've tried.

Optane wont work because my HDD and OS isn't on a SATA controller that uses RTS ? I have a brand new z270 EVGA FTW-K mobo. I currently have the latest RST optane drivers.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

We understand that you're having a hard time getting system acceleration enabled.

The first thing that we need to make sure of is that you're using the latest BIOS release for your motherboard:

- https://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=12625&type=N&acctype=BIOS&accversion=1.03&part_number=132-KS-E277 EVGA Z270 FTW-K* BIOS 1.03 Update (adds Optane™ compatibility).

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

After this, the next requirement is for your BIOS to be operating in full UEFI mode, not legacy: Go to your BIOS > Navegate to BOOT > Locate CSM Configuration > Make sure "Launch CSM" is set to "Disable." If this is not the case, let us know, as you may need to reinstall or convert your OS to UEFI mode (simply changing this setting may result in BSoD).

Once these settings have been confirmed, we can take a closer look at your error message. Would it be possible for you to share the following information with us?

1. Screenshot of the Intel® Optane™ Memory Software error message.

2. Screenshot of your setup from Disk Management (Right-click the Start menu icon > select Disk Management from drop down).

3. Which SATA port is your boot drive connected into?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
mkokk
Beginner

The bios has been updated and bios has been in full UEEFI mode. I'm currently plugged into SATA 3/6G port 3 at the bottom. My Optane stick is installed in my second m.2 slot, as my first slot is directly under my video card. I was worried it would get hot so I have it in m.2 slot 2.

Thank you for replying and helping me, i'm super frustrated and just want this thing to work.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

The manual for your motherboard isn't entirely clean on whether SATA ports 2 and 3 use chipset lanes or not. Unless you have already tested this, let's connect your hard drive to the SATA 0 and try to run the setup again. While this port shares lanes with the M.2 slot where you have the Optane™ Memory installed, this only matters for M.2 SATA drives. Optane™ Memory is NVMe*, so there should be no issues.

I am able to confirm that your memory module is installed in the correct M.2 slot. From your manual it seems that both meet the requirement of using chipset lanes.

The second part of the error mentions that your SATA Controller must be set to RAID mode. However, you can't just switch this manually, as it may result in a BSoD. There are methods to do so, but in most boards this is not required unless you're performing a clean installation of the operating system. Since all the documentation I was able to find for your board seems to be "pre-Optane™ Memory", I can't confirm if your BIOS has the capability of allowing our software to make the switch for you, which how this is normally done.

If switching your drive to SATA_0 still results in the same error, please send us a screenshot (or a picture) of your BIOS menu from where the SATA or Controller mode can be selected.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

I tried putting it in 0 and windows wouldn't boot. It just goes to bios.

and I can't send pictures of my bios because I don't have a usb stick.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

Don't worry. I'm not sure who's idea it was to make it this way, but only you can see your actual name. Other users and the internet in general will only ever see your user name.

With your boot drive in the SATA_0 slot the system boots straight to BIOS, but does it detect the drive, or not at all on that position? On a side note, if your fast SSD is a SATA drive, you can still benefit from Optane™, although it is better to accelerate a slow drive and use the fast one as secondary (or on another system).

We're still looking through your motherboard's manual for possible reasons behind this error, in the meantime, please share with us the Intel® Optane™ Memory logs located under C:\Users\[your user name]\Intel\Logs\

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
CFord2
New Contributor I

I got my 32GB Optane Memory stick working just fine as a standalone drive in an X99 rig.

If I can help you man, I will.

No need to send the stick back, this is the fastest SSD on the planet right now, although yea, the capacity is very small.

I was able to install Win10 64 and Microsoft Office 2016 and AMD workstation video drivers and Acronis etc, on a single stick, with great success on my work rig.

Cannot wait for the Intel 900P SSD to launch.

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/WilsonSammy777/IMG_1356_zpses2foews.jpg

mkokk
Beginner

>>> 7/12/2017 16:13:40:043

[Install Configuration]

Installer Version: 1.7.25.0

Compile date = Thu Nov 3 14:04:12 2016

OS command line = D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Setup.exe

Effective command line =

Windows Version = Windows 10

Platform = 64 bit

Core Version = 3.0.1 (IIF2++)

System up time = 3111 sec

Source: D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64

[Languages]

0401 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\ar-SA\setup.exe.mui

0405 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\cs-CZ\setup.exe.mui

0406 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\da-DK\setup.exe.mui

0407 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\de-DE\setup.exe.mui

0408 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\el-GR\setup.exe.mui

0409 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\en-US\setup.exe.mui

0C0A - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\es-ES\setup.exe.mui

040B - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\fi-FI\setup.exe.mui

040C - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\fr-FR\setup.exe.mui

040D - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\he-IL\setup.exe.mui

041A - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\hr-HR\setup.exe.mui

040E - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\hu-HU\setup.exe.mui

0410 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\it-IT\setup.exe.mui

0411 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\ja-JP\setup.exe.mui

0412 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\ko-KR\setup.exe.mui

0414 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\nb-NO\setup.exe.mui

0413 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\nl-NL\setup.exe.mui

0415 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\pl-PL\setup.exe.mui

0416 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\pt-BR\setup.exe.mui

0816 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\pt-PT\setup.exe.mui

0418 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\ro-RO\setup.exe.mui

0419 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\ru-RU\setup.exe.mui

041B - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\sk-SK\setup.exe.mui

0424 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\sl-SI\setup.exe.mui

041D - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\sv-SE\setup.exe.mui

041E - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\th-TH\setup.exe.mui

041F - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\tr-TR\setup.exe.mui

0804 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\zh-CN\setup.exe.mui

0404 - D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Lang\zh-TW\setup.exe.mui

User default LangID: 0x409

User default UI language: 0x409

Loaded language 0409

[Checking requirements]

* Enabling DPIAware was successful

Checking for admin rights

Admin rights OK

Checking OS

OS check OK

Checking .NET configuration

Check Pass. Found ID: 8 , Min ID: 4

.NET check OK

[Scanning drivers]

Scanning drivers

Found INF = D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\DisplayAudio\10.22\IntcDAud.inf

Found INF = D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\DisplayAudio\6.16\IntcDAud.inf

Found INF = D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\Graphics\igdlh64.inf

[INF Info]

INF = D:\Drivers\Graphics\win64\DisplayAudio\10.22\IntcDAud.inf

* Section Key not found in INF

Date = 10/05/2016

Version = 010.22.00.96

ClassGUID = {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

PackageInfo.Name = DAUDIO

PackageInfo.Sequence = 0

Manufacturer = Intel,NTAMD64.6.2

Resolved Manufacturer = Intel.NTAMD64.6.2

Inf supports 64 bit.

Description: Intel(R) Display Audio

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2809&SUBSYS_80860101,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2809

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2809&SUBSYS_80860101,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2809

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280A&SUBSYS_80860101,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280A

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280A&SUBSYS_80860101,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280A

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B&SUBSYS_80860101,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B&SUBSYS_80860101,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280C&SUBSYS_80860101,HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280C

HardwareID = IntcAudModel,INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280C...
0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

I now have a usb stick and took some screen shots of my bios.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

Those aren't the logs that we need, but don't worry. I have a new suggestion for us try. Still haven't been able to find a reason behind your system not booting while your drive is installed in the SATA_O port, but let's try to move past that (for not).

Please connect your boot drive to the lowest numbered SATA connector that will still allow your system to boot (the original SATA_3 position should be ok). Then go into your operating system. Based on your error code, it seems that the Optane™ Memory Software was not able to automatically make the switch from AHCI to RAID for you. Our official recommendation for type of situations will always be to reinstall the operating system from scratch using the required settings from our http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000023989.html installation guide, however, I can also give you the steps to change this manually (at your own risk).

These steps should be simple enough, but occationally can result in BSOD errors. As always, it's important to back up your data first. If you normally login with a PIN, make sure that you know your regular user password as well. Safe Mode may not allow you to log in otherwise.

1. Open RUN dialog box by pressing WIN+R keys together and then type MSCONFIG.

2. Switch to the Boot tab, and enable the SAFE BOOT checkbox.

3. Apply the changes and restart your computer.

4. While restarting, go into your UEFI BIOS.

5. From your BIOS change your storage controller from AHCI to RAID (or Intel® RST Premium with System Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Technology.... same thing, new name).

1. Note: Windows* will now boot into safe mode, system repair screen may show up, this is all normal.

6. Use the run box to open MSCONFIG again > Boot tab > uncheck SAFE BOOT > Restart your computer one last time.

After this, you should be able to run the setup and enable system acceleration. Please make sure to take screenshots if you run into any problems.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

i'm okay with reinstalling.

If I were to reinstall windows 10, what SATA port should I be plugged into ?

While reinstalling windows 10, do I create a partition for Optane right then and there ?

0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

So does it matter where I'm plugged into ? Should I be reinstalling windows while plugged into SATA 0 ?

0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

I got another error.

I couldn't get a straight answer for reinstall so I just went ahead and did those steps you listed.

I went into bios and turned it to RAID mode and enabled it, and now when I go to turn optane on I get this error.

0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

Hi,

I'm not sure what to do. I popped my windows 10 disk in and reinstalled windows and tried again but Optane wont work, throws a 0xA0000001 error at me. I didn't erase my HDD and do a full reinstall, just a partial. Do I need to completely erase my HDD and reinstall windows like that ?

Are we sure that the Optane stick can be in the second M.2 slot ? Do I need to install the Optane stick in m.2 slot 1 underneath my video card ? I have both m.2 slots enabled.

I'm running my PC right now with RAID mode enabled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

We're available to provide assistance during weekdays only.

I've only seen error 0xA0000001 twice before, in both cases it was resolved with a low level format and clean installation of the operating system.

If you have a computer where you can use this drive as secondary, then a secure erase using diskpart should be simple enough (Command Prompt (Admin) > Diskpart > List disk > Select disk 1 (replace "1" with your drive's number shown after the previous command) > clean all). If not, then you will need to use a bootable third-party tool instead: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000006198.html Run a Low-Level Format.

Since all the necessary settings have already been applied, you should now be able to go ahead install Windows* from scratch.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

Do I need to run a low level format on the optane stick ? Or only my HDD ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

For this error, only your HDD. But if you don't mind the extra wait, go for both just to be safe.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

i don't know if I can do this, it's so confusing.

I have a CD-Rom, I don't have a way to burn disks, those programs you listed require an ISO format or something or other for burnable CD's. I don't know what to do. I have an SSD that's blank, the only thing I can think of is to install windows on it, then plug my HDD back in and hopefully it reads as a slave drive or something and then I can format it, then unplug the SSD and plug the HDD back in and install windows.... Will that even work ? Considering it's the same OS on both hard drives.

Oh and by the way, I can't even format the Optane stick, it wont let me do it in windows. Is there a way to do it when installing windows on a blank hard drive ?

0 Kudos
mkokk
Beginner

omg.... OMG .... OH MY GOD !

WHAT THE HECK !

It's so flipping fast ! It works so good !

First of all, I can't believe it's working. I went ahead and did what I said I was going to and it installed perfectly and after restarting the computer and going to desktop I instantly noticed a performance boost ! The more I use it the faster it's getting. It works really really well so far, thank you so much Carlos ! I really appreciate your time ! Thank you !

0 Kudos
CFord2
New Contributor I

Congratulations jadedhesher!

Enjoy that Amazing Optane Speed!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jadedhesher,

We're very glad to hear that everything is working as expected now. Thank you for your patience and for choosing Intel®.

If you need any more assistance, or have any additional questions, feel free to contact us again.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos