Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1342 Discussions

Optane linked Data Drive (D:) is missing

JAgui17
Beginner

After a "system cleanup" I got an error message indicating there was a problem with my Optane memory in the Intel Rapid software.

I decided to reboot the system, but after that my D: drive (my data drive, which was attached to the Optane Memory, not the system drive "C:") was inaccessible by my Windows 10 Pro OS. The Intel Rapid software showed that the Optane memory was deactivated.

I need to recover my information, allocated in my D drive. Please, advise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Whose "system cleanup" did you use? I hope NOT ccleaner and/or their registry cleaner.

Doc

0 Kudos
JAgui17
Beginner

I use Norton Utilities and AVG PC TuneUp.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

When you use tools like that, you use them at your risk. Optane is difficult enough, without having some "cleanup" tool pretending to know what can and cannot be deleted.

I hope you had a backup. If so, start the repairing and restore, and do not use those cleanup tools again.

Sorry, but I have seen too many users get taken by the "snake oil" magical promises of these tools.

Doc

0 Kudos
JAgui17
Beginner

I do have a backup, but is not up to date.

Thinking ahead, while looking for a solution to my present problem: do you have a suggestion about software options to keep Windows 10 in shape?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Personally, I do not trust any cleanup tool or registry tool, especially ccleaner. As far as maintenance on W10, their Storage Sense for temporary files seems to do a fair job, without trying to be the "be-all" cleanup tool. Also, W10 disk cleanup (which MS seems focused to get rid of) is a long time tool used by a lot of people. Again, I do not trust anything, especially stuff that messes with the registry.

I take a backup every Friday, whether I need to or not. It is a discipline, it is a practice. And, it has saved me. I also have turned on checkpoints.

I have Optane on one of my machines. When I take a backup of that machine, I disable optane, take the backup, and then enable optane. Thus, if something goes wrong with the pair, I have a good backup of the drive without optane that I can restore to another drive, or do another pairing with optane.

None of this easy. But, it is a way to ensure my data is safe.

Doc

0 Kudos