Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Preparation and use of a USB bootable key

RYoun22
Beginner

Two weeks ago, I prepared a USB bootable key using the instructions described in “Intel Optane Memory M and H Series Installation Guide” (May 2019). The USB key was completed without any explicit errors. However, in step 9 (adding the RST drivers to the Window image), I noticed that my installation only found 2 driver packages rather than the 3 packages illustrated in the installation guide. Thus, I have three questions:

Question 1: How many driver packages should I have found? If 3 packages, could you suggest what I might have done incorrectly?

Question 2: How might I test whether my USB bootable key would deliver the correct drivers to the operating system in the event of a failure? (I have tried to boot from the USB and discovered two partitions. USB partition #1 boots directly into Windows 10. Partition #2 displays the familiar blue page listing several choices, e.g., enter Windows 10, turn off computer, repair using a device, or something like that. But I have only tried turning off the computer in fear that I might mess up the installed Optane drivers or something else.)

Question 3: If my application with the Optane memory is limited to data drive acceleration, do I need a USB bootable key to recover from failure?  Would my system drive function normally when the optane memory/data drive fail?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, RYoun22.

Thank you very much for waiting.

For the first question I got the same result, it searches for driver packages to install and then installs two, not three as in the example, so I don’t think you are doing something wrong, probably that is because of an update in the drives and/or versions used when the document was created.

Regarding the second question, the Windows recovery and recovery image handling are Microsoft processes, the document in question provides the steps necessary to inject the RST drivers when needed, but this process applies to any other driver required by the OS, is not our process per se. The best option would be to check with Microsoft for more information about how and when to use it or to make sure it will help you recover the system.

For the third question, if the Optane module fails or is taken out of the computer, your storage drive (the secondary drive being accelerated) stops being recognized, this is because the OS sees both (Optane + Storage) as one, the information may be corrupted, but you can test the drive in a different system to try to access the files and backup your information, you may also try to change the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCH, that will make the OS see the drives as separate units. Be aware that changing the SATA mode to AHCI may cause problems to the OS; it is recommended to backup your information before trying this option.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, RYoun22.

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket and I understand that you are looking for specific information regarding the creation of the recovery image and the recovery process itself; I will be glad to assist you.

Let me double-check and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, RYoun22.

Thank you very much for waiting.

For the first question I got the same result, it searches for driver packages to install and then installs two, not three as in the example, so I don’t think you are doing something wrong, probably that is because of an update in the drives and/or versions used when the document was created.

Regarding the second question, the Windows recovery and recovery image handling are Microsoft processes, the document in question provides the steps necessary to inject the RST drivers when needed, but this process applies to any other driver required by the OS, is not our process per se. The best option would be to check with Microsoft for more information about how and when to use it or to make sure it will help you recover the system.

For the third question, if the Optane module fails or is taken out of the computer, your storage drive (the secondary drive being accelerated) stops being recognized, this is because the OS sees both (Optane + Storage) as one, the information may be corrupted, but you can test the drive in a different system to try to access the files and backup your information, you may also try to change the SATA mode in BIOS to AHCH, that will make the OS see the drives as separate units. Be aware that changing the SATA mode to AHCI may cause problems to the OS; it is recommended to backup your information before trying this option.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
RYoun22
Beginner

Your answer to my first question is the most important one to me. That you replicated the installation of two rather than three packages of drivers suggests that my USB recovery drive was correctly created. Many thanks for the effort and time. you devoted to my concern.

After I received your reply, I immediately tested my recovery drive on my computer. Because my computer is running without problem, my test shed no light on how the drive would help to recover from failure of the Optane module and/or hard drive. However, the test does verified that USB recovery drive did not produce any unintended effects – which was the concern underlying my questions #2 &3.

Again, thank you very much,

Rocky

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Rocky,

In order to protect my system from failure of Optane Module or System/Data Drive, I'm using the following backup policy:

1. I'm performing full Disk Backup with Optane acceleration disabled. Once I finish this backup, I reenable Optane acceleration. Having such backup, my O.S. and programs are protected.
  2. For protection of my Data , I use Windows 10 History backup. This backup is updated continuosly and incrementally, every hour.
  3. Be aware; once Intel Optane acceleration was enabled, the SATA mode is changed from AHCI to Intel RST with Optane. Even after disabling Optane acceleration, the SATA mode remains Intel RST with Optane. This is not causing any problem. However, if you decide to change the SATA mode from Intel RST with Optane to AHCI (or vice versa), you will lose your data/system. If you want to change SATA mode without losing data, you have first set the Windows mode from NORMAL to SAFE. While booting in SAFE mode, your data will be not affected after changing SATA mode. After changing the SATA mode, the Windows Normal mode can be restored.

Leon

0 Kudos
RYoun22
Beginner

While I routinely backup all my drives, your reminder to disable the Optane module first is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos