Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Reset to non-optane not working

emgsma
Beginner
Hi,

I have an Intel SSD 512GB + 32 GB Optane. I reinstalled Windows and everything looked okay but in the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management I get two errors: "There are no valid disk pairs* and "There are two many volumes" (could not be exact). The Optane is not detected by any other software like Disk Management or Diskpart.

Searching in the internet, I found that I should go to the bios -> device configuration -> search for the Optane (that appears as incomplete Optane) and click Reset to nonOptane. Save and Exit. The thing is that when I click on "Reset to non Optane" and click "Yes" after a Warning, nothing happens! I can click many times and nothing happens. In the end, I click ESC and go back to the menu and restart the computer, without option to Save because nothing happened. Windows boots normally but the problem persist. Why is that? What could I do?

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
9 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I would reticent if I didn't first point out (for others' benefit if not yours) that you should have reset it to non-Optane before doing the Windows reinstall. You could have reinstalled Windows and then (re-)created the Optane pairing.

Since, by reinstalling Windows, you broke the pairing, setting it to non-Optane is not going to take any time (there's nothing in the cache to flush). When you say nothing happens, what do you mean? What were you expecting that you didn't see?

When you reloaded Windows, did you ensure that the partitions created left 10MB of free space at the end of the drive?

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
emgsma
Beginner

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your answer.

I read somewhere that this problem could be solved by setting to non-Optane in the BIOS. When I say that nothing happens, I don't know, I would have expected that something appear in the screen telling me "okay, the optane was reset" or "it cannot be reset" or something, but literally I click "yes" and it is like I wasn't click at all.

- When you reloaded Windows, did you ensure that the partitions created left 10MB of free space at the end of the drive?

No, I followed some guidelines in the internet and what I did is a clean installation: I deleted the partitions in the SSD and left it unallocated from the WIndows installer, and selected it to install the OS.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

As I said, since the association is broken already, the reset to non-Optane may take no time at all (because there is no data in the cache that has to be written to the HDD). If I am right (I have never done this; perhaps I should trash my one machine with Optane just for the fun of it ), you can chalk up the lack of a completion message to Intel implementing inelegant GUIs (probably not making friends here saying so, am I?).

There my be 10MB free at the end of the drive for Optane usage. If you cleaned off the partitions and let Windows make the decision, then it created its recovery partition against the end of the drive. You will need to either delete the Recovery Partition (that's the unsophisticated, brute-force way) or shrink this partition slightly (that's the sophisticated, elegant way).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
emgsma
Beginner

Hi Scott,

I just checked and there are already 21 mb unallocated in the disk

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
And it's at the end of the drive?
0 Kudos
emgsma
Beginner
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello emgsma,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can provide us with the following information:

• Please, let us know if this Optane™ Memory H10 Series came pre-installed with your PC.

• We would appreciate it if you can provide us with the system details by extracting the SSU logs.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ (for Windows*) and to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26735/ (for Linux) download the software.

2- When you finish downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file generated by the tool in your reply.

• We advise you to open a ticket in parallel with your PC OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further assistance regarding the BIOS issue you are experiencing with your PC.

We will follow up with you again the next Thursday, the 28th of January 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

We will be looking forward to your reply, including this information.

Josh B.
Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello emgsma,

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage. We would like to know if you were able to check our previous post.

We will follow up with you again the next Tuesday, the 2nd of February 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello emgsma,

Greetings from; Intel® Memory and Storage support.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage.

Since we have not heard from you in a while, we are going to close this community thread.

If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread.

Best regards,

Jos B.

0 Kudos