Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Trouble Physically Installing Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card on ASUS Prime B250M-A Motherboard

JLowr
Beginner

I recently purchased Intel and ASUS parts to build a new desktop computer including :

1- One Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card

2- One ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard

3- One Intel Core i5-7500, 3.4GHZ, 6mb cache, LGA1151 processor

among other necessary items.

My new build went as planned until I started to install the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card into the M.2 slot on the ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard. There were no standoffs or screws included with the ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard or the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card to hold or secure the end of the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card to the motherboard M2 slot. This would originally seem to be a small thing but I did not know what size standoff to buy or where to buy it.

I called ASUS tech support relating my situation and was told by tech support that they had no way of knowing what size standoff and screw would be needed to secure an M2 card in their M2 slot. I asked technician if he could have the correct standoff and screw shipped to me. I was told that could not be done. The technician said my only option was to return the ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard to the seller for a replacement hoping the replacement would include needed M2 standoff and screw.

Looking at forums, someone suggested the M.2 slots needed a M2 standoff and screw, which makes sense after you see it in writing. There was none to be found locally so I ordered an assorted M2 set of standoffs and screws on line. This of course delayed my build until the order arrived. Installing one of the 3mm M2 standoffs and again trying to install my Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card, I found the half moon cutout in the end of the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card would slide down the side of the standoff because the diameter of the M2 standoff was too small or the cutout in the end of the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card was too large.

I could not find information on M2 standoff diameter so I ordered another assorted set of M2 standoffs, screws and flat washers from another vendor. When this new set of standoffs, screws and flat washers arrived I had the same problem of small standoff diameter.

I improvised by installing an M2 flat washer under and on top of the half moon cutout on the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card. The bottom washer, sitting on top of the M2 standoff, in effect increased the diameter of the installed M2 standoff. This allowed the top and bottom M2 washers, and screw, to hold the end of my Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card securely in place on the motherboard.

This situation could have been averted by having the proper standoff and screw shipped with the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card and/or the ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard. If this had been done customer satisfaction could have been much higher as my new build would have been completed on time.

For future reference, what would have been my best course of action to obtain the correct missing M2 standoff and M2 screw for my Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Shamrock,

We understand your motherboard did not come with the standoffs or screws for the M.2 slot and you have purchased some online but with no luck.

For us, it is really weird that these did not come integrated with your motherboard, we do know that the motherboard should include small bags with screws and other parts.

We do suggest to you to check with Asus* since this comes included always.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shamrock,

We would like to know if you were able to contact Asus* and get the stand-off and screws to install your Intel® Optane™ Memory Module.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
JLowr
Beginner

Nestor C

As I mentioned in my initial post, I called ASUS tech support relating my situation and was told by tech support that they had no way of knowing what size standoff and screw would be needed to secure an M2 card in their M2 slot. I asked technician if he could have the correct standoff and screw shipped to me. I was told that could not be done. The technician said my only option was to return the ASUS Prime B250A-M motherboard to the seller for a replacement hoping the replacement would include needed M2 standoff and screw.

Because my M2 standoff diameter was too small, I improvised by installing an M2 flat washer under and on top of the half moon cutout on the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card. The bottom washer, sitting on top of the M2 standoff, in effect increased the diameter of the installed M2 standoff. This allowed the top and bottom M2 washers, and screw, to hold the end of my Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card securely in place on the motherboard.

The above improvising provided the Intel Optane 32 GB M.2 card mechanical stability and electrical continuity from the copper film on the cards half moon cutout to the motherboard through the screw, washers and standoff.

Although this is not the optimal installation method, the card seems to be working fine.

I recently posted my original Intel post on the ASUS support forum.

Best Regards

Shamrock

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shamrock,

We do understand your situation and we do not suggest the workaround you found; however, we understand this seems to be the only way at the moment.

Normally, the motherboard's manufacturers are the ones that provide screws and standoffs since they are the ones that build them. We are sure that you may get some somewhere else, but it is been really hard for your model.

We believe Asus* should be taking care of you in this matter, as they should give you the correct size and pieces for their motherboards.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos