Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Unable to inject the driver into windows recovery partition

kyog47
Beginner

I tried to install intel rapid storage technology installer for my Optane memory. but it shows me error "unable to inject the driver into windows recovery partition". I have attached full system report taken using Intel SSU. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, kyog47.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I received you case about trying to inject the RST driver in the recovery partition, and I will be helping you with this.

Please let me know if you can provide us with the steps or guide you are trying to follow for this process in order to check if there are any recommendations we can provide.

I will follow up on December 8th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
kyog47
Beginner

Earlier I was using windows 10 and Optane driver installation and application installation etc. was fine.

let me describe you the timeline -

(1) in windows 10 Optane drivers and app was installed and was working fine

(2) I forgot to disable the Optane through app before upgrading to windows 11 (I know and I always disable Optane before upgrade for safer process)

(3) fortunately windows 11 upgraded (I didn't want to clean install) without any errors or brick

(4) after upgrade most of the drivers and all apps were as it is

(5) I checked for Optane driver update on intel's website and there was an update, so I downloaded it and tried to install it (details - Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver Installation Software with Intel® Optane™ Memory (10th and 11th Gen Platforms) 18.6.1.1016), but it was throwing the error message that "Unable to inject the driver into windows recovery partition" and click to restart

(6) so I restarted and then tried to enable the Optane memory and it got enabled successfully

but the issue is that driver was not successfully injected into windows recovery partition and there was also some warning note written that "if you will not inject this then recovery might not work as expected in system failure" something like this.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, kyog47.

Thank you very much for the additional details and steps.

I tried to reproduce this in a couple of systems, and I have not been able to encounter the same error. Of course, I do not have the same hardware.

Do you know what Intel RST driver version was installed before the update?

What I can recommend right now making sure there is an external backup in case of a critical failure that your system is not able to recover from, and possibly bring this to the attention of Microsoft to check if they have other recommendations.

I will continue reviewing this and I will follow up on December 10th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, kyog47.

This post is to follow up on your thread to check if you had any updates for us.

I previously shared that we were not able to reproduce this error, so we asked if you remember the RST version that was installed, also recommended to keep a backup of your information just in case, and to contact Microsoft for any other recommendations or details they can provide about what happened.

I will follow up on December 15th one more time before closing the thread.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
kyog47
Beginner

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for the response. I don't exactly remember but it could be 17.9.1.1009.3 . 

Also please take a look on the pdf which I am attaching.

pdf page 1 - no extra partition is visible

pdf page 2 - installing 18.6.1.1016 version

pdf page 3 - error appeared "Unable to inject the driver into windows recovery partition" and it is telling to inject manually, how to do that? and also 2 new partition start appearing 

pdf page 4 - extra partition is visible [hidden recovery etc partition]

pdf page 5 - restart message

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, kyog47.

We appreciate the additional details and steps you shared with us.

Based on the screenshots you shared, it seems to be that your recovery partition barely has any available free space (less than 8MB).

We recommend increasing the partition size before trying the driver installation process again.

We advise you to contact Microsoft* to get further information on how to perform this partition modification since modifying the recovery drive may cause problems.

Based on the screenshot shared, you were able to update the drivers and the RST tool, and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if this solved your issue.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 17th of December 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please, let us know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, kyog47.

I wanted to follow up on your case to check if there is anything we can help you with.

We previously recommended to review this with Microsoft to get details about this error and how to modify the recovery partition.

The thread will be closed on December 22nd, but you can let us know if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
kyog47
Beginner
Thank you Bruce for the reply,

I will contact Microsoft for the same, but most probably they will suggest me to backup personal data and reset/format drive to increase the size of recovery partition. And that is not possible at this time so you can close the thread. Thanks again
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Kyog47.

The thread will be closed right now, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back, just open a new thread or use any of the available contact methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos