Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Unsupported BIOS error for Intel Optane 16GB

SSing43
Beginner

Hi

I have a Lenovo 320s 14lkb 80x4 with i5 7200 processor.

I have installed the Optane 16GB and it can be seen in the Windows 10 disk management. I have updated the BIOS to latest version and can see the controller set to "Intel RST Premium" in the BIOS.

I have also installed the intel driver for Optane version 15.7.0.1014.

I have run the Intel SSU and the file is attached.

The screen shot of the error while running intel optane memory is also attached which says "unsupported BIOS".

Have tried various combinations - updating BIOS, updating chipset software, updating device driver in device manager but still gives "unsupported BIOS" error.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SSing43
Beginner

Forgot to attach intel logs. Attaching here

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello shrudder,

We understand that your system is not able to activate the Intel® Optane™ Technology due to unsupported BIOS error message.

Checking the information you shared with us, we can see that your system is not Intel® Optane™ compatible, as this is a laptop computer and there is no BIOS update to make it compatible (Even though the requirements are fine).

You may find more information in https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/optane-memory-faq.pdf the following link about compatibility with Intel® Optane™ Technology. (Question 9)

We have not been notified yet of the possibility to utilize the technology on laptops yet, but it may be possible in a near future.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi

"Unsupported BIOS error for Intel Optane 16GB" message means that your SATA Controller set to 'AHCI' mode and your BIOS does not support auto-switch from 'AHCI' to 'Intel® RST Premium and System Acceleration with Intel® Optane™ Technology' mode. To resolve this issue, refer to section 4.4 in the following guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-installation.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/optane-memory/intel-optane-memory-user-inst

Hope this will help

Leon

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Iw1948,

Thanks for sharing this information as well; unfortunately, laptops manufacturer have not developed a BIOS to be compatible with Intel® Optane™ Technology as this was targeted for desktop systems. We expect to have this technology for laptops in a near future.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
SSing43
Beginner

Hi Nestor C , lw1948

If Intel says that the technology is not yet ready for laptops then why are the manufacturers promoting their laptops as intel optane ready. Read the http://www3.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-300-series/Lenovo-IdeaPad-320S-14IKB/p/88IP30S0823 product description of Lenovo 320s which clearly states under the power performance section that the laptop is intel optane ready.

And lw1948, BIOS does automatically switch to Intel RST premium. I tried to manually revert to AHCI and then reinstall the software - it switches fine.

I followed all steps mentioned in the Lenovo Intel Optane installation guide - but no success.

At this point I am very close to returning my intel optane and buying an SSD instead.

Thanks anyways.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shrudder,

Thanks for letting us know that your system is advertised with the Intel® Optane™ Memory Module, under the memory section of the specs.

At this moment, we are researching about this since we could not find any BIOS release with Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology compatibility features. We will keep you posted over here as soon as we have updates.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Shrudder,

We were checking this and as mentioned before, we could not find any BIOS update with Intel® Optane™ Memory Technology compatibility.

In any case, we would like to know the following:

-What is the RST version within the BIOS?

-Are there any Optane options in the BIOS like in https://support.lenovo.com/my/en/solutions/ht504146 this link

We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shrudder,

We have confirmation that this Lenovo* platform is not Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready, a reason why there is no BIOS update that supports this functionality.

Our team is already working with Lenovo* in order to correct the website, you may want to contact them as well in case of any doubts.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
SSing43
Beginner

Thanks Nestor

I understand this is Lenovo problem

-- Lenovo is attracting customers by providing wrong information in the product features page - using Intel Trade Marks.

Anyhow thanks for spending time to provide final clarification on this.

I have decided to buy an SSD to resolve my problem.

Request you to close this topic.

Thanks & Regards

Saurav

PS:

To all those who came here using GOOGLE SEARCH. Final conclusion is as follows

"LENOVO 320S 14lkb 80X4 LAPTOP doesn't support intel optane. The information provided on Lenovo product feature page and in their hardware management manual is wrong. Don't buy 320s 14lkb 80X4 Laptop in case you plan to install Optane later on"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Shrudder,

We expect this situation to be clarified and we have contacted Asus* about it.

Thanks for your understanding and to bring this to our attention.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos