Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Unsupported bios mode - Optane

NVinc1
Beginner

Hi,

I've been at this setup for sometime now trying to get optane up and running. I have 2 HDDs 2tb and a 500 Gb drives. The 2 Tb drive running windows 10 which got the creators fall update.

Now, the issue is that when i try to install the optane software, it gives error "Unsupported bios mode". I tried some of the troubleshooting here. When i disable the CSM the system goes to bootloop. I tried the command line for gpt coversion , it gives errors.

How can i fix this without a windows re installation/ losing my data on my HDD. Please help intel.

Im attaching the screenshots.

I have a Asus Strix H270F Motherboard with latest BIOS.

At the time of screenshot, the second HDD is disabled.

Please Help !!

Message was edited by: Nishanth Vincent&# 13; &# 13; Note: added the log file

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NishanthFX,

We understand that your system is unable to install the Intel® Optane™ Memory due to the unsupported BIOS mode error.

We would like to know what is the exact error when you try the command line to change the drive. Make sure the command you type is: "mbr2gpt.exe /convert/allowfullOS"

If you get an error please share it here. Please keep in mind that the software may give you an error message that it requires at least 5MB partition at the end of the boot drive.

Could you also please share the logs from the following location: C:\Users\Yourusername\Intel\Logs

Regards,

Nestor C
NVinc1
Beginner

Thank You, Nestor, for the reply. I will post the error log today.

0 Kudos
NVinc1
Beginner

Hi Nestor,

Ive added the log fiile. Please take a look and see what im doing wrong here.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NishanthFX,

Thanks for the logs. It clearly shows your BIOS is in Legacy mode, so we would like to know if when you type the command: mbr2gpt.exe /convert/ allowfullOS, it gives any specific error message.

Also, if you tried the command running the CMD with admin rights, could you please try it while running the installation setup of the OS? We mean using the repair options for the installation disk.

Please let us know if this works, as it is the only way to change the BIOS boot mode.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NishanthFX,

We would like to know if you were able to follow the previous recommendation and if you require further assistance. We'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
NVinc1
Beginner

HI Guys,

Its now up and running .. i got it working !!!

Here is what happened. I tried to use the command "mbr2gpt.exe /convert/allowfullOS" gave me errors invalid drive. work around was:

Delete the other partitions. As in my case we can see that i was having more than 3 partitions. Yes, It doesnt convert and returns errors if there are more than 3 partitions. So keep only a maximum of 2 or 3 partitions if you have windows with all updates done.

I then applied the "mbr2gpt.exe /convert/allowfullOS" and it worked this time convering GPT but it went into a bootlop even after the bios setting were changed. The only work around was to reinstall windows.

Now all is well.

MY CONCLUSION : OPTANE REQUIRES FRESH INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS WITH LATEST ISO AND A PRE REQUISITE OF UEFI WINDOWS SETUP(GPT PARTITIONING) WICH WAS NOT FOUND WRITTEN ANYWHERE WHILE PURCHASING.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NishanthFX,

We are glad to hear that you issue has been resolved.

If you have further questions then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos