Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Why will none of the programs that deal with Optane work? Inculcating the update page

Ravenbear
Novice

Here is the issue. Optane was working fine then one day I try and open it and get "The Intel Optane memory application ran into a problem" I tried to uninstall it but I cannot because I cannot open the app to turn it off.. Also the update page just gives me 'opps ran into a problem etc" So I have no way to get to my Optane or get updates. I have no clue what changed everything is the same in the BIOS and it is up to date. Help would be greatly welcomed.. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

Thank you for the screenshot.

If that didn’t work, then the only option I can think of is to de-concatenate the module from BIOS.

If I’m not mistaken, in ASUS* motherboards, the option to reset the module and de-concatenate it from the HDD is under the option “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology”. These option should be available in the Advanced tab.

Once there, you should see the module and the option “Reset to non-Optane” under Disk Actions.

I hope it works for you. Let me know the results.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ENash1,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

A similar issue was described in this thread: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490OkzSAE/optane-error-0xa008002e. The user couldn’t open the application, but the module was still working. Everything was fine, but suddenly the application started with the issues.

In the thread above, the user was using the Intel® RST application and he got the error code 0xA008002E. At the end, he could fix it by just uninstalling the application and reinstalling the latest version.

Having said this, I recommend you to proceed in the same way as it might be the same issue. Please find below the link to download the latest version of the Intel® Optane™ Application and the Intel® RST Application.

If you reinstalled the Intel® Optane™ Application but the issue is still happening, please uninstall it and then install the Intel® RST Application instead to check if the same behavior happens.

Note: Disabling the Intel® Optane™ Memory before doing any system change is always recommended, but considering that you are not able to do so, and based on the thread above, you can try uninstalling the application without disabling the module first.

Let me know the results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

It is still doing the same and will not let me uninstall without turning Optane off.. I even tried to repair it and that failed..

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

Going to load the other logs

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

Last one

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ENash1,

Thank you for the information.

Could you please also take a screenshot of the application showing the error message?

Regarding to the Intel® Optane™ logs, is there any file named as OptaneMemoryUI.log in the directory C:\Users\[your_user_name]\Intel\Logs?

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi ENash1,

When you have the information asked above, please share it here.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

OK here you go.. Thank you for taking the time to help me..

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

Ok the next

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

And the last

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

Thank you for the information. From the log file I can see that the error code you are getting is 0xA0080014. Based on this code, I was able to find the following thread where the same issue was discussed: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490Y2tSAE/intel-optane-memory-application-ran-into-a-problem

As you can see there, the issue was fixed by uninstalling and re-installing the application, however as the Intel® Optane™ Memory is enabled and paired with the HDD, you are not able to uninstall the application as you already confirmed.

Same thing happened to the users in the thread above, however they were able to do it after disabling the service from the Task Manager, so I recommend you to try this way too.

The specific service you have to stop in Task Manager is “Intel (R) Optane (TM) Memory Service”. Once this is done, open the application and try to disable the module. Then proceed with the re-installation of the application.

This process worked for the 2 users in the thread, so I hope it works for you as well. I recommend you to check the thread to get all details of the process to fix the issue.

Please let me know the results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

I will give this a try and let you know.. thank you for the time and effort it took to help me..

DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

No problem, I'm here to help you with this.

I will be waiting for your updates.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

OK I have tried that and no such joy as you can see in the screen shot.. Any ideas on a solution.. Should I try and shut it down in the Bios somehow? I have a Asus broad.. Thanks

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

If that didn’t work, then the only option I can think of is to de-concatenate the module from BIOS.

If I’m not mistaken, in ASUS* motherboards, the option to reset the module and de-concatenate it from the HDD is under the option “Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology”. These option should be available in the Advanced tab.

Once there, you should see the module and the option “Reset to non-Optane” under Disk Actions.

I hope it works for you. Let me know the results.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

Will do.. Thank you..

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

It worked.. Thank you.. I installed RST and things look good. Maybe you can answer one more thing. I try and use the update tool and it always encounters an error. It does not detect my Optane.. Again thank you for your time.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

Thank you for the update.

I’m glad to know that everything is working again however, I’m a little confused. What tool are you referring to exactly when saying “the update tool”, and which error is it showing?

This means that the Intel® Optane™ Memory is not enabled yet, or is it working and running fine?

If possible please take a screenshot, it will help to understand the issue.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
Ravenbear
Novice

Sorry about that. Here is a screenshot.

One last question and this one is just out of curiosity. How long should a SSD last on average..

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi Ravenbear,

I’m not sure why it is failing to scan your system. The only suggestion I can give you is to re-install the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" application and see if it fixes the issue.

However, if the Intel® Optane™ Memory is enabled and up and running, then everything is fine, so you don’t have to worry about it. On the other hand, if you would like to know what is wrong with the "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" application, I recommend you to submit a ticket through the following site so you get proper assistance for it: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Regarding to your question about the SSD, the real working time will highly depend on the workload the SSD will be handling. The warranty period is usually 5 years because it is expected that the drive, under normal conditions, will work for 5 years approximately. However, if the drive is working under high workload conditions, then it may work less time.

So summarizing, the average and expected time is usually around 5 years under normal conditions, but it may vary depending on the workload.

I hope this information clarified your doubt.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos