Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Will the Optane H10 memory boost performance for an external HDD?

DPach6
Beginner

I'm looking for a new laptop and I came across this HP laptop with core i5 10th generation, Optane H10 memory 32GB + 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM. I was wondering if the Optane memory could boost the performance of an external hard drive disk and what conditions it would requiere. Can the HDD be connected on one of the laptop's USB ports through a SATA to USB adapter or USB to USB cable? Can I constantly disconnect it or it has to be connected all the time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello DPach6,

Thank you for your reply.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage is designed to be used as a whole solution, meaning that the embedded storage portion of the drive should be accelerated using the Intel® Optane™ embedded in the corresponding card. We do not recommend trying to accelerate any SATA secondary device.

Regarding if it is possible or not to accelerate a different SATA drive connected to the laptop, we advise you to check with the OEM (HP*) for more information.

Take into consideration that the Intel® Optane™ memory embedded in the card will only accelerate one device at a time. In this case, only the embedded storage portion benefits from the system acceleration using the Intel® Optane™ memory.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello DPach6,

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can review the following information:

• This HP* system seems to have the Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB + Intel® QLC 3D NAND SSD 512GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0), this kind to Optane includes the SSD that is going to be accelerated, and it is not supported to accelerate any other drive under this configuration. To confirm if this is the correct model of the Intel® Optane™ Memory H10, please contact the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) in this case HP*.
  • The Optane Memory is designed to accelerate SATA based drives, and we do not support the usage of USB adapters or any other hardware since we can not assure compatibility.
  • The Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage (Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB + Intel® QLC 3D NAND SSD 512GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0) is not able to accelerate a USB device.

For further information and support related to this laptop and the hardware/software configuration, we advise you to contact HP*.

We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
DPach6
Beginner

Thanks for your help Josh , I just have one more question, considering it is possible to add another ssd/hdd to this laptop connected through SATA, will the optane memory boost it's performance as well or the boost is limited to the ssd included in the memory module?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello DPach6,

Thank you for your reply.

The Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage is designed to be used as a whole solution, meaning that the embedded storage portion of the drive should be accelerated using the Intel® Optane™ embedded in the corresponding card. We do not recommend trying to accelerate any SATA secondary device.

Regarding if it is possible or not to accelerate a different SATA drive connected to the laptop, we advise you to check with the OEM (HP*) for more information.

Take into consideration that the Intel® Optane™ memory embedded in the card will only accelerate one device at a time. In this case, only the embedded storage portion benefits from the system acceleration using the Intel® Optane™ memory.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Have a nice day.

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JPhil24
Beginner

Thats great information sir it cleared my own problem related this topic thanks for sharing

john

PrepaidCardStatus Activation

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello DPach6,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to the Intel® Optane™ Memory H10 with Solid State Storage Series and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
DPach6
Beginner

Hi Josh, thanks for your help, I won't be needing further assistance​

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello DPach6,

Thank you for your reply,

As per your consent, we will close this community thread. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos