Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

i cannnot install Boot grub loader due to Optane issue

Mugetsu
Beginner

i recently purchased a Acer nitro 5 which has 256gb hynix and 1 tb hard disk,now i want to install linux on hard-disk , after all the headache, i have installed linux but i cannot install grub loader sucessfully on it i tried parrot linux and it installed grubloader successfully but didnt load it on booting . what do i do?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Mugetsu.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket related to Intel Optane Memory, I will be glad to assists you.

In case you are trying to set up your system to have multiple boot options besides the one currently accelerated, this is not supported while having an Optane configured:

• A single drive with multiple operating systems isn't supported with system acceleration. We don't recommend this use, and we don't guarantee results.

• Dual OS Boot systems--systems with more than one storage drive, each containing an OS--aren't supported and results can't be guaranteed.

If I misunderstood or if I can help you with anything else, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Mugetsu.

The only possible recommendation we can provide is to contact the developer of the application giving you problems or the support community of your Linux distribution to check if they can provide you with proper recommendations or a workaround.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Mugetsu.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if I can be of assistance.

If you have any questions related to a specific Intel product, just let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Mugetsu.

Good day,

This message is to follow up on your ticket regarding the problem you have, possibly related to Intel® Optane™ memory.

As mentioned in my previous response and the private message, the only possible recommendation we can provide is to contact the developer of the application giving you problems or the support community of your Linux distribution to check if they can provide you with proper recommendations or a workaround.

I will proceed to close the ticket for now, if you need further assistance, you can always contact us ack.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
ZekeMX
Beginner

I know this is an old threat but just in case someone reads this...

Too bad Intel is not supporting Optane on linux. I read that intel has it´s own linux and stil no optane support.

You first need to disable optane and do some changes on your partitions to be able to have both linux and Windows on same HD and still able to reactivate optane with out getting any errors. Unfortunately Intel optane manager does not copy grub to optane, you have to choose your computers boot manager to boot from non optane partition.

Here is how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXgbF3P2F8

Regards

ZekeMX

0 Kudos
Mach282
Novice

If I may add to this thread, I recently had an issue where the Optane Memory seemed to have become disabled on its own (a recent update?). My system started showing an extra partition which I thought was a USB drive. After talking to HP support I re-enabled OM and the partition went away.

However, I ran into a second problem after it was activated. My Grub bootloader, on the second disk, ceased to work. Hence, I was booted directly into Windows.  When I tried to to update/reinstall Grub, it would not recognize the Windows drive anymore. What I found out was that, as gparted reported, a partition manager, the Windows partition no longer as an NTFS volume but an "ataraid" volume. In order to solve this I had to disable OM in Windows, go back into Linux, reinstall/update GRUB, then go back to Windows and re-enable OM. So far, the Grub settings have held.

My question is 1) was there a recent update to OM that changed how the Windows drive file system is now reported? I never before had an issue with Windows reporting as an unrecognized fs.  It seems to me that unless OM is changed back to the way it was previously then any future changes to Grub or the Linux disk might cause addition havoc.

0 Kudos