Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

optane driver wont install because efi partition at end of drive

TTalb1
Beginner

I just got the optane but the driver at install gives error 0x001004B. The error support page says to resize the efi partition which is located at the end of the drive but i can't get the efi partition do anything as its locked. No partition program will move it or resize it nor can a create another partition behind the efi to give the 5mb space needed to load the driver. How can I get this thing to work?

intel i7-7000k

rog maximus ix hero

16g ram

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi cromlots,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

Based on your information, It seems that you need to reinstall Windows(R) 10 because once the EFI partition is at the end of the drive it can't be moved.

We recommend you to leave 5MB at the end of the drive during the Windows* installation. Also, make sure to physically remove the Intel® Optane™ Memory before installing Windows*, otherwise it will create a system partition.

Make sure that you have the following BIOS settings before installing Windows*:

1- Boot into your BIOS

2- Press F7 to go to the advanced mode.

3- Go to Boot\CMS (Compatibility Support Module) and make sure is disabled.

4-Go to advanced\PCH Storage Configuration and check the following information:

A- SATA Mode Selection: Intel RST Premium with Intel(R) Optane(TM) System Acceleration(RAID).

After that, press f10 to save changes.

Once you have the settings applied to the system, you can reinstall Windows* with the method suggested above(5MB of unallocated space).

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
TTalb1
Beginner

ok thanks for the response unfortunately I upgraded from windows 7 to 10. I have no actual copy of windows 10. Unless theres another way seems I wasted my money. I don't suppose cloning the OS, change the bios and then putting windows back will work?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cromlots,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that the cloning process will not work because it will clone the SSD with the EFI partition at the end so you will get the same output.

Since you upgraded from Windows 7* to Windows(R) 10, you need to activate your Windows* via Digital entitlement(Digital License). This License is associated with the Microsoft* account you used during the Windows(R) 10 upgrade. However, we recommend you to contact https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Microsoft* in order to get assistance with the reinstall and activation process.

For further information please check the links below:

-https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/12440/windows-10-activation Activation in Windows 10 - Microsoft.com

-https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-install-and-activate-windows-10-using-your/d713f9f9-e91f-4ffe-a3c0-7ef9639a0559 How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows 8 product key - Microsoft.com

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
TTalb1
Beginner

ok thanks. looks like i can download a hard copy of win 10. just a matter of losing my programs so i'll weigh the options

looks like i might be able to pull it off according to a site i found

https://lifehacker.com/5983652/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-without-losing-your-files-settings-and-tweaks storybreak stars');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:center}.editor .editor-inner div.legacy-raw-html,.pos…

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cromlots,

Thanks for the reply.

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cromlots,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
TTalb1
Beginner

Yes I've read it but I couldn't get back in as I lost all my data because I had to start from scratch to get the optane to work. And then it wouldn't work but i found documentation online on how to reset it. Im happy with the product and tech support however these things should be made clear about installation . I read a bunch of reviews on it but none mention the criteria you need to install it. It's not just plug and play like one is led to believe. It's only cause I'm somewhat techsavvy that I got it going. 16 hrs later

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi cromlots,

We are glad to hear that your situation has been resolved.

If you have further questions then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos