Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

recover data after disabling optane failure

SPrak7
Novice

I have a 58GB Optane SSD accelerating a 3TB hard disk

My computer became unresponsive after beginning the optane disabling process.

Restarting the computer I saw the optane acceleration process restart and reach 100%, however the drive did not recover and the process began again.

I restarted and disabled optane acceleration from the bios and booted into windows, my drives were visible, however the files and filesystem on the 3TB drive appear to be from 1 month prior before optane acceleration was enabled.

I used puran file recovery on the optane drive however the files I require are zero-size

I used the file recovery software to look for the same files on the 3TB drive however they cannot be found at all.

Is there a file recovery software that will be able to find the files on the 3TB drive?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello massiveforces,

Thanks for posting your question in the Intel® Optane™ Memory community.

The 58GB Optane SSD is not tested or validated by to be used as an accelerating Optane. The use of this device as an accelerating device voids the product warranty and may result in unexpected behaviors.

Unfortunately, Intel does not have or provide any data recovery software.

Hope this information helps to clarify your concern.

Best regards,

Juan N.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SPrak7
Novice

after a deep scan I couldn't find the files I was looking for.... I reenabled optane in windows to see if another scan would allow a recovery and it didn't.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello massiveforces,

Thanks for posting your question in the Intel® Optane™ Memory community.

The 58GB Optane SSD is not tested or validated by to be used as an accelerating Optane. The use of this device as an accelerating device voids the product warranty and may result in unexpected behaviors.

Unfortunately, Intel does not have or provide any data recovery software.

Hope this information helps to clarify your concern.

Best regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
SPrak7
Novice

No this is unhelpful because the reason I am using Optane is because Intel discontinued support for Intel RST which I had always used in write-through mode with a 60GB SATA SSD and never had a problem with since 2011 Why leave no equivalent storage acceleration options other than Optane SSDs?

idata
Employee

Hello massiveforces,

I apologize for the inconvenient you are having with the RST support.

If are looking for a way to accelerate your caching to provide a better performance to your SSD, would be recommended for you to use Intel® Cache Acceleration Software (Intel® CAS). In the following link you will find detailed information about this tool and how to obatain it.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/intel-cache-acceleration-software-performance.html

Hope this information helps you.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Good question! The only reason I can come up with is that they dropped SRT support to force folks to purchase their modules. My take on this? Yes, Optane is going to perform better than a SATA SSD, but, I'm sorry, M.2 connectors are too precious a commodity to give up for an Optane modules (to often, there is only one).

...S

0 Kudos
SPrak7
Novice

1) Intel's latest RST drivers have dropped support for Smart Response on motherboards where it previously worked

2) Intel disavows support for the only alternative providing >32GB caching: OPTANE SSD and never enabled a safer write through mode for it

3) Intel instead now recommends a $300 piece of software

4) AMD releases STORE MI for free which does the job Smart Response used to do

You have no direct response to the competing STORE MI product?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello massiveforces,

I apologize for the inconvenient you are going through.

There is no insight of the reason why the Smart Response was discontinued in the newer versions of RST. If you want to use this feature you will need to use an older version of the RST. The recommended version is 15.9.0.1015 and can be found on the following link:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Intel does support the use of Optane memories (16GB and 32GB) that have been validated and tested to work as cache acceleration. The use Optane SSDs as if they were memories for acceleration will have unexpected behaviors. Because the Optane SSDs are not validated for this use, they are validated to be used as storage devices.

I will have your feedback shared with the engineering team about the Smart Response and the Store Mi from AMD. Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us.

Please let me know if you have any additional feedback to share with us.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Massiveforces,

I would like to know if you have any additional feedback regarding this issue.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
SPrak7
Novice

I found that the source of the original freeze during the Optane disabling process was likely a poor quality sata cable on my Windows SSD or the SSD itself (not cached by Optane) and I have replaced that drive. I have resumed using optane on my mechanical drive but was unable to recover the data cached by Optane before the initial crash. I therefore have increased the frequency I back up data from the cached drive.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Massiveforces,

Thank you very much for your feedback. This information is very important for the Optane community.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos