Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Cannot boot from issdfut_2.1.3.iso

YYang41
Beginner

I use an Intel SSD 540s and I want to upgrade the firmware to the newest one. I downloaded the issdfut_2.1.3.iso and burned it into a CD-ROM and a USB drive. But I cannot boot into FUT on my ThinkPad T440. I have tried many times and both the CD and USB did not work.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Yao_Yang,

If your system does not boot with the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18363/Intel-SSD-Firmware-Update-Tool Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool after you copied it to CD and USB. We advise you to review the process you used to create the bootable media.

The Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool is packaged as an ISO image. Similar to an archive file or a disk image. The ISO image must be decoded with software and installed onto a blank CD or USB flash drive to make it bootable with the Intel® SSD FUT. If you simply copy the ISO image file to a blank CD or USB drive, it will appear as a regular data file, it will not be bootable and will not work correctly.

There are other aspects to take into consideration once the bootable drive has been created, such as BIOS boot order, and that some systems will need to have "Secure Boot" disabled to use the tool.

For more information and detailed instructions, please review thehttp://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/ssdc/ssd-software/Intel_SSD_FUT_2.1.x_User_Guide_US.pdf Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool User Guide.
0 Kudos
YYang41
Beginner

Hi,

I used Nero to burn the ISO image to a CD-ROM, and use the freeware recommended by Intel to create a ISO image on a USB flash drive. I did not just copy the files into my CD or USB drive. I have disabled the "Secure Boot" in the BIOS, and set the CD-ROM or USB drive to the priority in the BIOS boot order. However, the screen just turned to black for a second and then exited to normal start up.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello,

We are very interested in this issue and would like to get more information about it.

Please let us know at which point of the boot process does the screen go black, is it right after POST (Power on self test)? does it happen after it tries to boot from the FUT media? or does it start to boot from FUT, but eventually fails?

If possible, try downloading the tool again. And if you have another computer, can you try booting from FUT on that.
0 Kudos
YYang41
Beginner

Since I am using a laptop (ThinkPad T440), it does not give any details of the status of POST. I can choose the boot device from the start of my laptop. Whether I chose CD-ROM or USB drive, the screen just blinked once and returned to the list of bootable devices. So I think the failure happens when it tries to boot from the FUT media.

I only have this computer, and I prefer not to pull out the SSD from it. It would be better to fix this problem.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Yao_Yang,

We have not received any similar reports about FUT, the bootable media can be created and should work following the intructions from the User Guide.

In this case, we advise you to download the iso file again, then use the guide to create the bootable media and try to run the tool.

For any further assistance, please let us know the following:

- Was this the SSD that came built-in with your computer?

- Is the the PC able to boot normally from a hard drive?

- Have you tried booting up your PC with other CD's or USB bootable tools?

JB.
0 Kudos
YYang41
Beginner

Hi,

I replace the original HDD with 540s SSD.

The SSD is working fine and I can boot from it.

I can boot up from other bootable media, such as a USB drive for installing Windows 10.

I will try again to see if I can boot into FUT. If it is still not working, I will let you know.

Thank you for your information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for letting us know, we will be waiting to know if recreating the bootable media helps to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
YYang41
Beginner

Hi,

I tried to enable the Legacy boot, and it finally works! It seems that the FUT must boot by Legacy mode.

During the update, some red words came up and said that the update is failed at the progress bar of 75%. After reboot into the Windows, I use Intel SSD Toolbox to check the firmware and it is LSB031C. Does this mean that the upgrade is actually successful?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Yao_Yang,

Thank you for the update, we are glad to know you were able to use the FUT. The firmware 031C is the version contained with Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool v2.3.1, so the update completed despite the message shown.

Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions about this matter.

JB
0 Kudos