Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Data Center Tool - not working, Perc H310 mini?

DBonn1
Beginner

I have the newest (3.0.2) version of the Intel Data Center Tool running on RHEL 6.7 on a Dell R530. I have enabled LSI adapter support, but whenever I attempt to query anything with isdct (isdct show -intelssd, for example), the card hangs and all IO stops being served (until I kill the isdct process). Luckily this hasn't resulted in a system crash yet.

Is there something I'm missing here? I believe everything in the chain here is supported by the tool.

I have a multiple DC S3610 1.6 TB SATA drives that are dying much too early (2 failures out of 12 in the past 5 months) with very few writes issued to them (less than a single drive overwrite in that time). Unfortunately, we cannot RMA the drives, so my intention is to use this tool to query the drives, check status, and update the firmware if needed.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Waco,

We have would like to verify few things:

-Are these drives from Dell* as well? Or did you purchase them separately?

-According to the http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/ssd-software/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_User_Guide.pdf user's guide, page 8, note 3, The Intel SSD DCT does not support SSD Data Center SATA drives behind HBAs (exception: LSI* Mega RAID adapters).

-Can you try to plug the SSDs directly to the motherboard's port?

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
DBonn1
Beginner

1. No, the drives were not purchased from Dell.

2. The drives *are* behind an LSI MegaRAID adapter. The Perc H310 mini is an LSI SAS 2008 (Falcon) rev 03 and can be managed through MegaCLI like any other LSI/Avago card.

3. The drives are connected to the SAS backplane on the front of the server. If needed, I could stand up a server simply for the task of flashing firmware, but that removes the ability to monitor them through this tool.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waco,

Thanks for the information provided.

We will verify this with our engineering department.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Waco,

While we are still checking on this situation you are having, is there any way you can try to test this with a different operating system and computer? - Also using the LSI.

Please let us know if this test can be performed from your side.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
DBonn1
Beginner

This is a production system, but even if it wasn't, every other system I have would be running the same OS with the same (or very similar) hardware.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Waco,

This is totally understandable.

While we keep researching about this, could you please let us know if with this https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23931/Intel-SSD-Data-Center-Tool?product=87278 older version of the Intel® Data Center Tool the commands works?

That version does work with your operating system and SSD.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
DBonn1
Beginner

I will pull that version down and see if there is any different behavior! ETA likely tomorrow, due to the possibility of the system crashing when testing the tool.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Waco,

Thank you for testing it. We'll wait for your response.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
DBonn1
Beginner

The older version of the tool doesn't crash or hang the LSI card, but it also doesn't see the SSDs at all (no results from the "isdct show -intelssd" command).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Waco,

Thanks a lot for testing it.

We will work on this situation here and we will keep you posted.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos
RShuc
Beginner

Any updates to this? I'm using version 3.0.3 of the tool on a Dell Perc H700 and getting the "no results" even with the LSI Adapter enabled.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Shucknet,

Our engineering team is working on this, if you have the same situation please provide us all the details:

-Are the SSDs running the operating system?

-What is the operating system installed?

-Firmware version of the Perc Card?

-To run /isdct set -system EnableLog=true and once enabled to please run: isdct show -system (make sure log file is enabled).

-Then run the command isdct show -intelssd let it run for 10 minutes and try to error out.

-After that, go to /var/log/tdki.log and please send us the log.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos