Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
435 Discussions

How does one erase optane 905P SSDs?

TRive1
Beginner

Ordinary SSDs can be securely erased using a bootable Parted Magic USB stick. Does this procedure apply to 905Ps, or is there another procedure?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello tseax,

Thanks for posting your question in the Intel® SSD community.

In the following link you will find the procedure to perform a secure erase:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022179/memory-and-storage.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022179/memory-and-storage.html

You can use the following commands:

• List disk: Displays the list of attached disks and USB flash drives
  • Sel disk (select disk): Selects the scope to work in
  • Clean all: Removes partition and volume information from the selected device
Remember you cannot perform a secure erase in the primary SSD while it is running.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any additional question let me know.

Best Regards,

Juan N.

0 Kudos
TRive1
Beginner

Thank you for the reply Juan N.

I should have specified, Parted Magic is a bootable tool used to erase a system SSD in preparation for OS reinstallation. It is a similar offline bootable tool (perhaps Parted Magic would suffice, I don't know as yet) that I'm looking for. The 905P will be the system disk. Parted Magic normally takes only seconds to wipe a conventional flash memory drive. I'm wondering whether the same procedure is safe for, or applicable to, the 905P line.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tseax,

Thanks for the clarification.

The 905P is a regular SSD from the software point of view. After checking the available information in the PartedMagic website it does not show any support for a PCIe or U.2 storage. It would be recommended for you to ask PartedMagic directly about their support for this kind of SSDs.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tseax,

I would like to know if you have any additional question regarding this issue?

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
TRive1
Beginner

Thanks Juan. I have no further issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello tseax,

I have done additional research on your issue and I found the following article that shows additional ways to do a secure erase on an Intel SSD.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006011/memory-and-storage.html

This are the additional validated ways to do a secure erase.

Hope this information helps you.

If you have any additional question feel free to open a new thread. We will be glad to help you.

Best Regards,

Juan N.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all,

I just want to add the it's possible to secure erase NVMe* drives using the Intel SSD Toolbox.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos