Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

I would like to know if Windows 10 Pro 64 bit can be installed on Intel Optane like one would install it on a HDD.?

mcamp13
Beginner

I just built a desktop using Asus Maximus XI Hero wifi AC motherboard, Asus GTX 1080 graphics card, 16GB G.Skil 3200 speed memory, and Intel i9 9900k processor. But the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit boots slow and is slow to connect to the internet or do searches etc. It would be nice to know what to do to make it faster. The bios information is good. All firmware and drivers have been updated for everything including device manager. All Windows updates have been installed. Yet it slow. I am wanting to know if I can use the Optane 280Gb PCIe to install Windows on it and what do I need to do to do it right.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi mcamp13,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand that you have the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, if not please correct me.

You shouldn’t have issues installing the OS and setting the drive as the booting unit, however I recommend you to check the following list to see the motherboards that have been tested with this driver: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage#. The specific model of your motherboard is not listed, so you may want to contact ASUS* to confirm if this drive is supported by your motherboard model.

On the other hand, I also recommend you to check the following article that includes the System Requirements for this drive. Please notice that you have to install the NVMe* drivers once the OS has been installed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025741/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html

I recommend you to check this information and the Boot Installation Guide that is mentioned there.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi mcamp13,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand that you have the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series, if not please correct me.

You shouldn’t have issues installing the OS and setting the drive as the booting unit, however I recommend you to check the following list to see the motherboards that have been tested with this driver: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Memory%20and%20Storage#. The specific model of your motherboard is not listed, so you may want to contact ASUS* to confirm if this drive is supported by your motherboard model.

On the other hand, I also recommend you to check the following article that includes the System Requirements for this drive. Please notice that you have to install the NVMe* drivers once the OS has been installed: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025741/memory-and-storage/enthusiast-ssds.html

I recommend you to check this information and the Boot Installation Guide that is mentioned there.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
mcamp13
Beginner

I seem to have difficulty on Intel finding information on the Maximus XI Hero wifi AC board. Asus has not provided me an answer either about using the Optane. I suppose I will be better off just using a 2.5" SSD drive and connect to my SATA cables. I was told that the only thing the Optane would do is boot my system faster. If that is all it does, it is an expensive boot. Thank you for responding.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi mcamp13,

Thank you for the response.

I believe there is some kind of confusion between the Intel® Optane™ devices. There are two different devices based on the Intel® Optane™ technology which are the Intel® Optane™ SSD and the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

The Intel® Optane™ SSD is a regular drive that you can use to install your OS and boot from it, or just as a secondary drive for documents, etc. For example the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series. From your original description, this is the device that I think you have. You can install the OS in this device and you shouldn’t have issues using it as long as the motherboard supports it and the NVMe* driver is installed in the system. Since this is an NVMe* device, you will get better performance (including boot speed) than using a SATA drive.

On the other hand, the Intel® Optane™ Memory is a device designed to accelerate an existing SATA drive in the system. This SATA drive could work as the primary drive or as a secondary drive. The Intel® Optane™ Memory will be paired to it and you will experience an increase in the performance. If the SATA drive accelerated is the primary drive, you will “feel” that the system installed in this SATA drive boots faster.

I hope this clarifies the usage of the Intel® Optane™ devices.

If you want to accelerate the SATA drive, then you have to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory, but if you have the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series, then you should contact ASUS* to confirm your motherboard supports it, however make sure to clarify you are using the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series because if you refer to it only as “Optane” they will most likely think you are using the Intel® Optane™ Memory instead.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos