Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
437 Discussions

ISSDFUT does not boot on legacy BIOS

HeSa
Beginner

Hello, I'm trying to update an Intel SSD on a Shuttle DS67U which does not have UEFI. Unfortunately the boot image (ISSDFUT 3.0.11) does not boot, it complains with the following message: Failed to load ldlinux.c32 The image has been written with dd to the USB stick directly (not to the partition). I already tried to dissect the initrd to figure out which binaries I need so I can build my own boot image, but I haven't gotten anywhere yet. Since this is a yocto image, i can't boot it in systemd-nspawn because of missing things in the environment. So if somebody could give me a hint where the update binary is located in the initrd, or how to make the image boot on a legacy BIOS it would be much appreciated Best Regards HeSa

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, HeSa.

Good day,

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community Support Forum.

I received your thread regarding Intel FUT not being able to boot, I will be glad to assist you.

We can't go beyond what is listed in the Intel Firmware Update Tool user guide, we would recommend using a different tool to mount the ISO on the USB drive.

For example, if you are using RUFUS, the application will prompt you that additional files need to be installed and it will do it for you, if the issue persists, another option would be to switch to Universal USB Installer:

- Download: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

- How to Update the Firmware Using the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056193/memory-and-storage.html

- Intel FUT user guide: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/30373/eng/Intel_SSD_Firmware_Update_Tool_3.0.11_User_Guide_322570-014.pdf

I will keep the thread open and follow up on May 27th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
HeSa
Beginner

Hello Bruce,

thank you for your answer.

The linux install guide referring unetbooting didn't help either, seems the guide's understanding of a "blank USB flash drive" differs from mine (fresh partition table created with GParted, one primary partition, formatted with FAT32. I'll assume you mean a windows formatted usb stick with some sort of bootloader present.

The DD variant got me farther than that.

What I don't understand is that since you're using Yocto already, why not make it bootable on EFI and non-EFI systems writeable by any disk imager tool (dd, WinDiskImager, whatever), like the debian installer does?

Most referred tools and guides seem to assume access to a Windows machine.

Also I did write the previous version of ISSDFUT to a CD, and that did not work either.

With the same error, so the way I wrote the image to USB or CD is not at fault.

I get:

ISOLINUX 6.04 ....

Failed to load ldlinux.c32

I also asked a pretty specific question about where the actual update binary is located in the file structure of the initrd on the ISSDFUT image, so I can create my own environment for the tool to run.

This question didn't get answered either.

It seems that giving a boiler-plate answer that doesn't actually answer the question is nowadays industry standard and that has me upset.

I came here with a specific question, because all the boilerplate solutions didn't work, so please answer my actual question:

Where in the initrd can I find the actual update binary and how is it invoked.

Best Regards

HeSa

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, HeSa.

Good day,

Allow me to confirm if there is anything else we can share, but please keep in mind that what you are attempting goes beyond our scope of support, and this is the reason why I mentioned in my previous post that we limit ourselves to the guides already provided.

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, HeSa.

Thank you very much for waiting.

The tool ISO cannot be modified, accessed, or used differently. The tool is provided as-is, with these limitations implied in the Intel Software License Agreement prompted before downloading the file, and we cannot provide you with comments or guidance for those methods or third-party tools.

You may try revisiting the steps listed in the Intel FUT user guide regarding Linux (Section 3.0, page 17) and we advise you to contact the community forums of your Linux distribution for other methods or the available UNetbootin documentation provided by them to address any problems you may encounter with the bootable USB created using this tool.

The thread will be closed right now, but if you require Intel assistance with something else in the future, you can always contact us back by creating a new thread or contacting us by any of the other support methods (remember to select your location):

- Find the available support options for your Intel® products: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos