Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
445 Discussions

Intel H10 not booting to windows 11 in my A520 AM4 motherboard

ANTzacalie
Beginner

I have an intel H10 512Gb 32Gb Optane NVME SSD , i took it from an asus laptop and put it in my desktop PC i just needed the nvme ssd not any optane stuff , i searched and i found that it should work with an amd A520 AM4 motherboard , it supports NVME , i can find the ssd serial number being detected in the BIOS but only a 26Gb part of it , witch is starange , is there any solution ? , I do not have the laptop anymore with me so i cannot try anything to reformat the ssd or any of that stuff , maybe is a driver issue , idk.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ANTzacalie.

Similarly to what LeonWaksman mentioned, Intel Optane Memory H series is intended to be used alongside the Intel RST driver to pair both portions of the disk, the Storage and Optane (this is like a 2-in-1 drive), and even the motherboard has to be validated specifically for Optane H Series use, so other scenarios like this one are not really validated/supported by us.

This could be related to the metadata still being present in the Optane, causing the Storage portion to become inaccessible, or it could also be the M.2 port of your motherboard not supporting PCIe bifurcation to see both drives in the same slot, again, since this can be considered a 2-in-1 drive.

My recommendation is to review this with the motherboard manufacturer or to simply use a different NVMe SSD that will give you its full performance, this is because Optane will not perform as expected in unsupported configurations anyway.

If there are no other questions I will close this thread on September 7th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ANTzacalie 

You wrote: "... just needed the nvme ssd not any optane stuff ...". You can't do this because Intel H10 SSD is not an simple NVMe drive but a combination of Optane drive (the 26 GB you can see) and NAND flash. In order to have your SSD working at high performance, Optane part have to be enabled.

I suspect that when you removed this drive from the laptop, you didn't disabled the Optane and now you can't see the whole SSD.

You may boot from Windows Installation Media (choose Repair instead of Install) and then in Advanced Menu you may open the Command Prompt. From the Command Prompt, use 'clean' command to erase both parts of the SSD.

Next install Windows on the NAND (large) SSD part. Use the Installation Guide to complete the installation and Optane enablement.

Leon

0 Kudos
ANTzacalie
Beginner

I tried and it seems that my windows instalation media was corupt, solved it but i cannot acces the 512gb part , I installed windows 10 on the 32gb optane memory witch was the only one recognized , i tried and i don't think I can fix it without an intel computer .
Also i installed windows on  my hdd and i could only see the 27gb part being recognized , i tried to do somthing with it using the intel memory tool and it simply recognize the 27gb part and thats it , i cannot install the intel RST , i will need that laptop again for that.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ANTzacalie.

Similarly to what LeonWaksman mentioned, Intel Optane Memory H series is intended to be used alongside the Intel RST driver to pair both portions of the disk, the Storage and Optane (this is like a 2-in-1 drive), and even the motherboard has to be validated specifically for Optane H Series use, so other scenarios like this one are not really validated/supported by us.

This could be related to the metadata still being present in the Optane, causing the Storage portion to become inaccessible, or it could also be the M.2 port of your motherboard not supporting PCIe bifurcation to see both drives in the same slot, again, since this can be considered a 2-in-1 drive.

My recommendation is to review this with the motherboard manufacturer or to simply use a different NVMe SSD that will give you its full performance, this is because Optane will not perform as expected in unsupported configurations anyway.

If there are no other questions I will close this thread on September 7th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, ANTzacalie.

This message is to inform you about the closure of this support thread.

I previously shared some details on how the Optane H series works and also that it is necessary to confirm with the platform/motherboard manufacturer if this type of drive can be used here as there is no additional assistance we can provide regarding unsupported platforms/configurations.

Since further assistance was not requested and other questions did not take place, the thread will be closed right now, and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of help from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos