Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Intel SSD Optimizer error 10/114?

WannabeHappyCustomer

I've been using an Intel 545s SSD for about a month and I've done the Optimizer routine three times, but now the tool returns error 10/114 when I click the button to launch the optimization. The error happens for the both logical drives on the SSD drive and persists after several windows restarts. What does this error mean?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello WannabeHappyCustomer,

Thank you for your reply.

Based on the SSU logs you provided we noticed the following:

BIOS Mode: "Legacy"

"INTEL SSDSC2KW256G8"

Interface Type:"IDE"

•  Based on previous customer experiences we have noticed that when the SATA mode is not set up in "AHCI mode" and the drive is detected as "IDE" unexpected behaviors may happen, as you are experiencing at the moment of running the optimization from the toolbox.

We advise you to backup your information, to change your BIOS setting to AHCI and if possible to reinstall your operating system.

•  We understand you concern about your drive health, we will appreciate if you can provide us with the "SMART details.CSV file (SMART logs)" this information can be extracted from your "Intel® SSD 545s Series" by using the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox, in the “IntelSolidStateDriveToolboxUserGuide.pdf” (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020382/memory-and-storage.html). Section 3.2 includes instructions on how to get this file that will be helpful to check your drive status.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 545s Series. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can review and provide us with the following information:

• Your system configuration including manufacturer, model and part number of all your system components and a copy of the SSU logs in the system that the SSD is connected.

1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software.

2- When finished downloading it, open it.

3- Attach the file obtained to your reply.

• This issue seems related to OS and the toolbox software and as part of the troubleshooting, we will appreciate if you can reinstall the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28808/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox?product=80096) and to try again to run the optimization in your SSD.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information and letting us know the results.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
WannabeHappyCustomer

Hello, Josh! Thank you for your prompt reply!

Please find the SSU report attached (I hope it's OK that I've erased the MAC addresses and IPs).

Some background info regarding the points you identify:

• I've added the SSD to my laptop myself as the manufacturer's warranty expired long ago. SSD is used as the system drive. Windows 10 is the only OS installed. It's a fresh OS installation of only about a month old. Windows update is on, the system is up-to-date. I don't have windows system restore points
  • What I've tried after getting the error: restarting Windows, uninstalling the SSD Toolbox and reinstalling it (from your link too), uninstalling the antivirus software and disabling windows defender too, deleting the drive from windows device manager, disabling the other drive (secondary hdd) in windows device manager, checking for firmware and drivers updates (none), running trim from windows drive service optimization utility (that one is OK, no errors)

The error makes me a bit worried about the drive health as it is the windows drive

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Based on the SSU logs you provided we noticed the following:

BIOS Mode: "Legacy"

"INTEL SSDSC2KW256G8"

Interface Type:"IDE"

•  Based on previous customer experiences we have noticed that when the SATA mode is not set up in "AHCI mode" and the drive is detected as "IDE" unexpected behaviors may happen, as you are experiencing at the moment of running the optimization from the toolbox.

We advise you to backup your information, to change your BIOS setting to AHCI and if possible to reinstall your operating system.

•  We understand you concern about your drive health, we will appreciate if you can provide us with the "SMART details.CSV file (SMART logs)" this information can be extracted from your "Intel® SSD 545s Series" by using the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox, in the “IntelSolidStateDriveToolboxUserGuide.pdf” (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000020382/memory-and-storage.html). Section 3.2 includes instructions on how to get this file that will be helpful to check your drive status.

We will be looking forward to your reply including this information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
WannabeHappyCustomer

Hello, Josh!

Thank you for noticing that! It's really strange because the drive should operate in AHCI mode as far as I can tell from BIOS settings (SATA mode has always been set to AHCI), windows device manager (the only IDE ATA/ATAPI controller is SATA AHCI standard controller) as well as the SSD Toolbox exported info (attached).

Is there any known reason why SSU logs can show IDE when in fact the drive operates in AHCI mode?

My guess would be something with the drivers. I've used the Intel Driver & Support Assistant but found no issues or driver updates

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

To answer to your question “Is there any known reason why SSU logs can show IDE when in fact the drive operates in AHCI mode?”

We are not aware of any issue related to the way that the SSU detects the system configuration.

Please take into consideration that if the SSU tool is detecting this kind of configuration in your system it is possible that the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox will detect the same and that could be the reason for the tool to do not allow you to run the optimization.

Regarding the SMART logs extracted from your SSD using the toolbox, we did not notice any hardware/firmware issue. This been said we advise you to try to run a Low-Level Format or Secure Erase on your Intel® Solid State Drive by the following article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198.html

Please let us know the results after following our recommendations.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. 

This is just a friendly reminder that your community thread remains open.

Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. 

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this community thread.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
WannabeHappyCustomer

Hello Josh!

Firstly, thank you for reviewing the SMART report and for your kind reminder about the thread.

I would definitely appreciate some further assistance if there is any chance of avoiding low-level formatting =)

I didn't manage to overcome the 10/114 error in the SSD Optimizer.

The question would be is there a significant difference between Intel SSD Optimizer and Windows 10 built-in Drive Optimizer utility? (screenshot for reference, found online , not taken on my system https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/Windows_Disk_Defragmenter.png )

If I can't get the Intel SSD Optimizer to perform optimization, will it be enough to run that MS Drive Optimizer utility?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

We are going to be working on reviewing your inquiry about “if there is any chance of avoiding low-level formatting”. We will be contacting you back as soon as we have an update or in case further information is required.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Thank you for your patience.

To answer your question:

“If I can't get the Intel SSD Optimizer to perform optimization, will it be enough to run that MS Drive Optimizer utility?”

Yes, you can use the MS Drive Optimizer utility to optimize your SSD. The outcomes in our lab showed promising results by using that embedded utility from the OS.

We will be looking forward to your reply in case you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
WannabeHappyCustomer

Hello Josh!

Thank you for your prompt reply. I will assume that we've failed to fix this issue which "seems related to OS and the toolbox software" without low-level formatting and reinstalling the OS. I'll use MS Drive Optimizer utility as a walk-around.

Thank you for your kind assistance. I believe the thread should be closed.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

As per your consent, this community thread is now closed if you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos