Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Optane 900p not recognized on x399 motherboard

JHan23
Beginner

I cannot get the Optane 900p to be recognized (via M.2) by the BIOS. I have a x399 Taichi MB which fully supports PCIe via M.2 . I have another M.2 Samsung Evo 960 that is recognized and works fine. What can I do to get the drive to be recognized? Is there a known issue with using this drive with X399 motherboards?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand that your Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P is not detected on BIOS.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please confirm the following information:

*Have you tested the SSD on another M.2 port?

*Have you tested the SSD on another system?

*Have you tried to connect the SSD on the same port that is connected the Samsung* Evo 960 SSD?

*Could you please let us know if you have more drives connected to the motherboard? If so, please let us know which ports are connected to.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
JHan23
Beginner

*Have you tested the SSD on another M.2 port?

Yes, I tested it on the M.2 ports. It does not work.

*Have you tested the SSD on another system?

Yes, it was tested on another system.

*Have you tried to connect the SSD on the same port that is connected the Samsung* Evo 960 SSD?

Yes, I did. It does not work.

Could you please let us know if you have more drives connected to the motherboard?

I have 1 Samsung EVO 960 M.2 connected and another Crucial MX300 SSD on a SATA port. I tried unplugging all drives with just the Optane but still no success.

The motherboard manufacturer is a x399 Taichi. There are 3 M.2 ports. I am NOT doing RAID or anything special. There was nothing in the product sheet that said it would not work on an AMD-chipset motherboard. Anything I can do to make this thing work? Right now, it's just an expensive paper weight.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thanks for the information.

Could you please confirm if the SSD was detected in the other system? Or did you have the same situation?

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
JHan23
Beginner

I purchased 2 Optane 900p SSDs (from different vendors). Both do not work so it is unlikely it is just a bad SSD.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, we recommend you to contact your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html# @3 local support team in order to get further assistance with this situation.

Please check your private messages.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
JHan23
Beginner

My apologies. I thought I had replied. There is no issue. I failed to connect the separate SATA 12v power. It is working now. Sorry again for the false alarm.

The one thing that is a little odd.. while it is fast, the SSD speeds I am getting is nothing close to what others are getting on other Intel platforms. On AS SSD benchmarks and Crystal Diskmark, I get a score thats barely a bit above what Samsung PROs are getting. I get about 95 MB/s on 4K and 400 MB/sec on 4k-64 depth on Read. Also, weird, I got a really really good score initially after a fresh install of Windows and installation of base drivers (174 MB/sec 4K, 2297 MB/sec on 4K-64depth on Read). But after a few reboots, I get significantly lower scores, especially on the 4K 64 queue depth. I did not install anything in between reboots. And, yes, I have installed Intel's NVME driver and disabled all power saving options. Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that benchmarks tests are not accurate when you perform them on an active boot drive because the test is sharing the bandwidth with your OS and background process(Windows* updates, antivirus). Also, the reason could be that the Windows* was downloading updates after some reboots and that is why you got different results.

In order to get better results, we recommend you to run the test with the SSD connected as a secondary drive.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
JHan23
Beginner

Yes. Thank you. I think we can close out this thread. Main thing is the Optane 900p does work fine on my x399 motherboard. I should've probably created another thread about the oddity in performance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi jamesjhhan,

Thanks for the reply.

We will proceed to close out the thread. However, make sure you are running the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27396/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs?product=123625 latest driver 3.2.0.1002 for the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900P Series.

If you have further questions then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos