Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Please help, P4510 crashing the system at boot just by pluggin it in..

Fabione
Beginner

It's one week I'm fighting with my build, changed the motherboard to an asus gene xi to have more nvme ports(4).. now, installing system win 10 pro on Optane 905P with rst enabled in bios to use the optane acceleration module, browsed to the latest rst drivers during OS installation.. fine. installed the optane app from the microsoft store, optane module and sata device properly recognized and working(tested enabling/disabling acceleration).. just by connecting the P4510 4tb to the motherboard will cause windows not to boot anymore, endless crashing at the first second of spinning points and reboot. detach the P4510 and windows boot properly. Please help because I think I really tried everything and kindly excuse my poor English.

EDIT: everything work fine under AHCI, but obviously no Optane acceleration.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello Fabione,

To better assist you, we have moved this thread to the correct subforum.

We will assist you soon.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Good day,

Have you had the chance to test the P4510 drive? just to make sure it is working fine. I understood that everything works properly in AHCI (but there is no Optane acceleration), so I suppose this means that you are able to see all the drives when you boot in "SATA Mode: AHCI", is this correct?

Are these the drives you are trying to connect at the same time?:

- 1x 905p (boot, let me know the model)

- 1x P4510 (let me know the model)

- 1x Optane Memory module

- 1x SATA storage drive.

What happens if you connect only the 905p and the P4510? are both recognized and work properly?

What happens if you remove the 905p and boot from a different SATA drive? Are you able to see the other drives just fine?

Since this seems related to a possible motherboard configuration/limitation issue, have you tried to open a ticket in parallel with the manufacturer (ASUS)?

Let me know.

Bruce C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Hi there Bruce and thank you for the time your are dedicating me. P4510 is totally fine, coming from my previous build never had a problem with it, just changed the motherboard to have more nvme slots as the previous one had only two, all drives are properly recognized in bios. when I connect 905p (480gb u2 drive) and p4510(4tb model u2) everything work splendid. 905 drive used as boot and p4510 for installation of big programs and datas(i'm kinda Intel fanboy got to admit). no issue with booting with an intel 900p 280gb u2 either.. actaully I also raided 0 two 900p with the 905p just for benchmark purposes and man that was quite fun. I don't think the problem is related to the motherboard, as swapping the p4510 with a 960EVO(same slot) everything works fine. all drives have their firmware updated to the latest.

this are the steps:

connect 905, 4510 and optane module.

install win10 everything working fine, all drives properly recognized and seen under OS.

install optane drivers, reboot.

endless reboot loop, system crashed.

also tried

connect 905 and optane module

installed win 10 and optane drivers, reboot.

everything works fine, optane doing its job accelerating sata drive(but thinking to buy a 660p 2tb as I can accelerate it with optane too!)

turn off computer

connect p4510 to nvme

turn on pc and bamm! endless reboot loop.

as told, if instead of p4510 I install a Samsung 960EVO everythink work fine.

as the build is under construction, I'm willing to do anything you may suggest, format, installs windows.. swap slots(did that too obviously)

to my knowledge I did everything I could, that's why I came here bothering you, I finished my resources.

I also bought a PCIe4x card u2 adapter to test, and actually I'm writing you from windows booted from the 4510 on that card.

thank you!!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Good day,

I have been trying to reproduce this and trying to get, at least, the same drive models.

I followed the steps you mentioned:

- connect 905 and optane module

- installed win 10 and optane drivers, reboot.

- everything works fine, optane doing its job accelerating sata drive

- turn off computer

- connect p4510 to nvme

- turn on pc and bamm! endless reboot loop.

I did not encounter this in two different systems (TUF X299 Mark 2 and Z270 Gaming K6) using the following:

- 905P 960GB (HHHL)

- Optane Memory M10 32GB (To M.2 1)

- P4510 1.0TB (to M.2 2)

- 540s 280GB (SATA)

I followed this exact procedure in both:

1. Load BIOS defaults and confirmed if SATA mode is in Intel RST Premium with Optane.

2. Installed 905P.

3. Clean OS install using USB (Create Windows 10 installation media).

4. Installed the Optane Memory and the SSD 540s.

5. Installed the latest Intel RST from the Intel website (download SetupRST.exe).

6. Restart.

7. Enabled acceleration in the RST tool for the secondary drive.

7.1 In the Z270 motherboard I received an error message 0xa0070015, I fixed this by installing the latest Intel DC NVMe drivers (download SetupNVME.exe), restarted the system and tried to enable the acceleration again and it worked.

8. Restart.

9. The computer is able to boot normally and all the drives are visible.

10. Turned the computer off and installed the P4510.

11. The computer is able to boot normally and all the drives are visible.

If possible, try to install the Intel NVMe driver before you enable the Optane acceleration for the secondary drive to see if this makes a difference.

Let me know if this works for you or if you would like me to try something different to reproduce it.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Hi there Bruce, done everything you ​did down to the bit, encountered also the same 0xa0070015 error, strange enough when launched the nvme drivers to fix it, the installer complained that the computer already had drivers that were newer than the one I was about to install.

Package version 4.4.0.1003

Installed version 17.8.0.1065

Anyway, installed them, shutted down the pc, connected the p4510 and sadly nothing changed. At boot, when the whirling dots appears, crash and reboot​.

Now installing again OS to try to install first nvme DC drivers and after rst. Thanks a lot for the support.​

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Nothing changed.. I did the whole procedure with all the drives connected.. installed nvme DC drivers, rebooted the system, everything fine. Installed the rst​ package, rebooted the system, crash and endless reboot loop. I really don't know what to do..

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Good day,

Have you tried installing the latest RST version provided by the motherboard manufacturer instead of the Intel one?

Version 17.5.0.1017 download page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-GENE/HelpDesk_Download/

Would you mind trying to do the same but this time using that driver?

While the 905P, Optane Memory and SATA SSD are installed:

• Install the latest RST from the manufacturer's website (17.5.0.1017).
  • Restart
  • Enable Optane acceleration for the SATA drive (install the NVMe driver only if required)
  • Restart (not shut down)
  • Make sure everything is working fine
  • Shut down
  • Install P4510
  • Check if it can boot.

If it can't, remove the P4510, boot (it should boot just by removing the P4510, right?), disable the Optane acceleration, restart as part of the Optane process and then shut down, install the P4510, boot, install the DC NVMe driver, restart, try to enable the acceleration again.

I would also like to get the full system report using Intel SSU (while having just the 905P, Optane and SATA drive with no acceleration enabled) and a screenshot of the full Disk Management window:

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Greetings Bruce, so here I am.. done everything as told, nothing.. ​also just by installing the rst drivers, whatever version, without enabling optane acceleration, cause the system to fail boot when the p4510 is connected. As you suggested I also wrote Asus, and they immediatly complained about the ram not being in their QVL, even though the 2 reviews of this same ram online are made on the asus gene xi.. so I just ordered a dual channel kit from their list, because we really tried everything, and the only common component to all my failures is the motherboard. Maybe we are trying to fix something we just can't.. again sorry for my English, I hope you understand what I write :)

Will come back to you as soon as I have the new ram and tested it, so Asus may not complain anymore about​ It, and will allow me to rma the board.. any other suggestions?

Thank you and have a nice day/evening!​

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Thank you for all the information regarding the motherboard manufacturer, I hope to hear from you soon regarding that.

Right now I do not have any other recommendations, but I would like to know if you can provide me the full system report using the Intel SSU (make sure you select "Everything" before running the scan).

It would be better to have the system up and running with the three initial drives (905p, Optane Memory and SATA), connect the P4510 to make the boot fail, disconnect the P4510 for it to boot normally and get the report to check if this gets registered, let me know if this is possible and generate also the RST report (Open RST > Help > System report > Save)

Right now this is mostly to check if there is something we can do from the side of the RST driver.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Hi there Bruce, it seems we finally come to an end, and you are not going to believe it: written in, and only, in the manual, Asus states that Optane is supported only when the mobo is used with a gen 8 cpu, while on their websites in the specs they write "intel optane ready" without specifying anything else.. can they do that? Saying that its intel optane ready and then in a single line hidden in the manual clarify that only with gen8 cpu? Is intel ok with that? I really have no words.. who the hell is gonna buy that kinda motherboard to use it with an old gen cpu?

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

I mean this is ridicolous.. z390 is the chipset that got out for gen9 processors, I have the best gen9 cpu money can buy, and I cannot use Intel Optane..

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Thank you for the update and details.

I remember seeing that in the user manual, but I was not really sure since Optane™ acceleration seemed to be working fine for the most part, except for the moment when the P4510 is connected to the system, that is the reason why I was interested in testing a bit more, even if, as you mentioned, it was something that could not be fixed.

Regarding the motherboard's specification, it is normal for details like this to be present only on the user manual, for example, some motherboards support Optane™ only in one specific port, SATA ports that get disabled when different PCIe devices are in use; details like these are only available in the manual.

Of course, I completely understand your position, I would like to take advantage of everything I have available, especially if I purchased the board to have access to more M.2 ports, and right now, taking into consideration the limitation we encountered, it may be better to implement Optane™ in a different setup rather than try to force it here, you still have a really good build, even if your SATA storage drive is not able to take advantage of the Optane™ boost.

If by any chance there is anything else I can do for you or if you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Hi Bruce, this board is the shittiest mobo I ever had. So now I removed the optane acceleration module.. Built a raid 0 boot drive with 3 900P​, system works.. intel p4510 connected but not formatted.. the perfomance of the array is well below what it used to be, my bad, forgot to install RST drivers.. download and install them.. reboot.. boom! Exact same error at boot. I did not even got the chance to reach out for the rst application.. Optane module not installed nor activated. If I have to use just two drives I could have stayed on my asrock z390itx phantom, awesome vrms, 905p as single boot drive and then4510 for datae. I will have to sell this 1 month old crap and look for an alternative, problem is all other mAtx mobo have poor vrm design, maybe the msi gaming edge.. i can then add nvme controller in the spare pcie slot.. any hint? Thank you for the support!

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

There is no guarantee that you will not encounter the same limitations using a PCIe controller card, you will need to check with the card manufacturer for details and possibly also the motherboard manufacturer as well, to check if the type of setup you are attempting is possible or if they have information about similar configurations.

Regarding the configuration you tested, did you try without the P4510 installed?, we previously thought that this could be related to this specific drive, since installing a Samsung SSD didn't cause the boot process to fail. I just want to make sure if we can rule out the P4510 as part of the problem and to confirm a motherboard limitation or driver issue.

Did you get any other details from the motherboard manufacturer? for example, if they are aware of similar configurations that work fine in this motherboard?

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Situation as follows: installed 2 900p and the p4510, got into bios, switched from ahci to intel rst, reboot, entered bios and created one raid 0 array with the two 900p​ to install windows on it, win installer on a usb thumbdrive, reboot, booting from usb, windows installer do not even start, same error, after 1 sec of spinning points, reboot loop.

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Asus just wont give a damn.. told them about raid not working and still waiting a reply.​

0 Kudos
Fabione
Beginner

Bruce breaking news.. I ripped the pc apart and swapped back the motherboard to the asrock z390.. the mobo just have 2 m2 slots.. i connected the 900ps to them, setup raid 0, loaded the rst drivers during win installation, everything worked fine. Shutted down the pc, installed the p4510​ in the pcie slot, booted up and boom! Exact same error! Will try now without installing rst drivers during win installation. Will update soon.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

Good day,

I wanted to know if you tested it the way you mentioned or other ways.

For what I understand, we are back to square one, the system is not crashing due to the driver or Optane, but due to the P4510 being connected to the system.

You mentioned that you were able to create the RAID 0, install OS, and boot, but the error shows up again as soon as you connect the P4510, correct?

Please generate a full system report using Intel® System Support Utility when everything is up and running: the two 900P, OS installed and latest RST, but, of course, before installing the P4510.

Let me know also if the system is able to boot normally just by removing it.

From the drive itself, I would like to know if you can get the following using the Intel Memory and Storage Tool:

- To display all the drives connected to the system and each index number "intelmas show -intelssd".

- To get the drive details of a specific drive: "intelmas show -all -intelssd X".

- To get the SMART information: "intelmas show -smart -intelssd X".

- To get the drive log: "intelmas dump -destination P4510.bin -intelSSD X -nlog".

- Just replace the X with the drive index.

- provide the files/outputs generated by those commands (you may use a ZIP file to upload them together).

- You may do this in a different system or booting from the P4510.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Fabione.

This message is to keep the thread active as we mentioned privately.

I understand you are currently waiting for the OEM. 

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos