Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

SSD Data Center Tool will not install on latest build of Windows Server 2016

RShuc
Beginner

I am unable to install the x64 version of the SSD Data Center Tool on the latest build/update of Windows Server 2016. I get a "This operating system is not supported." error.

It shows Windows server 2016 as a supported OS in the download center. What am I missing?

Thanks!

Ryan

0 Kudos
32 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Shucknet,

We have not received any reports about this situation; however, we'd like to verify with you first that the operating system you have installed is the Windows* Server 2016 64-bit version and not the 32-bit version. Is that the one?

We would look into this situation you are having.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos
SMuns
Novice

SSD Data Centre Tool will not install on Windows Server 2016 x64.

0 Kudos
RShuc
Beginner

Nestor,

To the best of my knowledge, there hasn't been a 32 bit version of an MS server OS since 2008 standard. I did verify that the OS I have installed (Server 2016 Standard) is listed as a 64 bit OS in the server properties.

I have the exact same screen as ShawnMunster (with a different background). There was an update that was pushed out after you released the 3.0.3 version of the tool that may have incremented the build number of the OS.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Shucknet & ShawnMunster,

At this moment we are verifying with our team in charge about this situation. If you could please check if there is a log about it in the following location: C:\Intel\logs (Filename: IntelSSDTDK.log or IntelSSDToolbox.log) please attach it to the response (Please use the advanced editor button).

We'll keep you posted.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
SMuns
Novice

Hi Nestor C

The only log file I have is this in Windows Server 2016 x64.

Regards,

Shawn.

0 Kudos
SMuns
Novice

Hi Nestor C,

I had a quick look at log file.

The x64 bit install of the tool thinks its Windows Server 2012 and 32bit.

Regards,

Shawn.

>>> 2/21/2017 12:53:52:839

[Install Configuration]

Installer Version: 1.3.5.0

Compile date = Thu Feb 19 14:22:01 2015

OS command line = "D:\DataCenterTool_3_0_3_Windows\Intel SSD Data Center Tool x64 -v3.0.3.401.exe"

Effective command line =

Windows Version = Windows 2012

Platform = 32 bit

Core Version = 3.0.1 (IIF2++)

System up time = 389075 sec

Source: C:\Windows\temp\IIFD1CE.tmp

[Languages]

User default LangID: 0xC09

User default UI language: 0x409

Using setup.exe for strings

[Checking requirements]

Checking for admin rights

Admin rights OK

Checking OS

! Invalid OS

IIF will NOT initiate reboot

Exit code = 0xA003

ResultCode = 40963

<<< 2/21/2017 12:53:54:964

Operating System Properties:

OS Name Microsoft Windows Server 2016 Standard

OS Kernel Type Multiprocessor Free (64-bit)

OS Version 10.0.14393.693 (Win10 RS1)

OS Service Pack -

OS Installation Date 26/12/2016

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ShawnMunster,

Thanks a lot for the log provided. We will be checking this and we'll give you any updates soon.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BItzs
Beginner

I have the same problem. Two fully updated Windows 2016 Standard Server installations, both running the same build 14393.693, however only one of them could install the SSD Data Center Tool. The other reports "This operating system is not supported". I've attached installation logs from both computers.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Ben

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Benjamin61,

Thanks for reporting this situation and attaching the logs.

We would like you to please try https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 this tool and let us know if you can install it and then export the *.xml file, once exported, please attach it to the thread.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
SMuns
Novice

Hi Nestor,

I did a reinstall of Windows Server 2016 Standard, and it let me install SSD Data Centre Tool.

Regards,

Shawn.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi ShawnMunster,

We are glad to hear you were able to install the software; However, it is weird that after the reinstallation of the operating system this was successful.

We will take a look at the logs you provided, but so far thanks for sharing with us that it was already installed.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
RShuc
Beginner

I would like to try to find a solution that doesn't involve me reinstalling the base OS underneath all my VMs.

I also confirmed that I have the exact same situation as Benjamin61 above. I have two identical servers with fully updated Windows Server 2016 installs. One will install the SSD Datacenter tool, the other one won't.

In a completely separate issue, the one that WILL install won't detect my Intel SSDs despite me enabling the LSI adapter (Dell H700).

Ryan

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Shucknet,

Could you please share with us the logs of the installation as well?

Also, include the *.xml file from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility?product=91600 this tool. (Please attach it to the response using the advanced editor button).

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BItzs
Beginner

My two servers are far from similar hardware, it is just the OS versions that are the same. So may be able to give a better example, if his hardware is actually identical.

Regardless, I've posted the support utility output xml files from both servers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Benjamin61,

Thanks for the files provided, we'll take a look and get back to you.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Benjamin61,

We have identified a possible cause. It seems the version of the .net in the system that fails is not the same as the one in the system that successfully installed the software.

Could you please install the same version on the system that fails to install our program?

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
BItzs
Beginner

The .Net Framework 4 is the same version on both computers (4.0 + 4.6), so I take it you meant for me to remove .Net Framework version 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 (bundled as one feature in Windows Server 2016)? I did that, and restarted, so it only had 4.0 and 4.6, but the error was the same.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Benjamin61,

Thanks for your reply and trying the .Net framework.

Our engineering team would like you to please share the new logs of the system that is unable to install the Intel® Data Center Tool.

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Nestor C

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Benjamin61,

We'd like to know if you can provide the new logs after the re-installation of .Net Framework.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello shucknet,

We would like to know if you were able to get the logs and if you updated the .net framework as it was already recommended in the thread.

Regards,

Nestor C
0 Kudos