Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

SSD Toolbox Error Message

SZimm3
Beginner

During a routine Full Diagnostic scan of my wife's Windows 10 PC using the Intel SSD Toolbox v. 3.4.9. for a series 530 240Gb SSD there was an error detected.

I downloaded & updated v. 3.4.9 on my PC, ran the same scan & got the same error message.

Having run these scans routinely since the PC purchase in 2014, that coincidence seems unlikely.

Is there something wrong with v. 3.4.9 causing these error messages?

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
27 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thank you for contacting our support community.

We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox.

In order to better understand your issue, could you please provide us with a screenshot of the error message you are getting?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

Thank you for your response. Attached is the screenshot.

Thanking you in advance for anything you can do.

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thank you for the screenshot provided.

Could you please provide us with the SMART details of the SSD, please follow the next steps:

1- Click on "Export". This will generate a .csv file.

2- Attach the file to your response when replying.

To enable attachments, make sure to select the option to "use advanced editor" while replying.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior M.:

Attached is .csv file you requested.

I could not find the "use advanced editor" option, sorry!

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on the SMART details the SSD seems to be healthy. Operating systems could be corrupted after a long period of time and that could be the reason why you get this error message.

We recommend you to back up all your data and perform a secure erase.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

What do you mean by a "secure erase"?

What if I uninstalled 3.4.9 & installed 3.4.7, then ran the scan?

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

By secure erase the SSD we mean delete all the information that is on it and reinstall the operating system.

You can try with a previous version of the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox. However, we can not guarantee it is going to work.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

I am not going to re-install the operating system....that takes hours & hours for something that may not work.

My problem is...I have the same error fault on my wife's PC, same make/model/configuration, occurred at the same time. That's why I'm looking at a v. 2.4.9 problem. And why I won't re-install the OS twice.

It'l be a day or two before I can do this. I'll let you know how I make out.

Question: Can in install 2.4.7 over 2.4.9 or must I uninstall 2.4.9 first?

Thanks for your help.

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thanks for clarifying the information.

We recommend you to uninstall the 2.4.9 version of the tool first and then reinstall the version 2.4.7.

Please let us know if you have the same output of the situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

I took your suggestion...uninstalled 3.4.9, installed 3.4.7 and ran it.

There were no errors. See attached screenshot & SMART file.

I can only conclude that whatever changed between 3.4.7 & 3.4.9 is causing these faults.

Question: Can I continue using 3.4.7 until Intel issues a newer version that corrects this problem?

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thank you for the information provided and let us know that a previous version of the tool does not show the error. We will provide this feedback to the proper team.

You can continue running the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox version 3.4.7 on your system.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hello again Junior,

I'm a week or two down the road from our last conversation on this topic, that v. 3.4.9 causes an error message when I run it. My solution (uninstall 3.4.9 & install 3.4.7) worked...once.

I just ran 3.4.7 today, Jan. 13 & got the same error message....an error was detected 17% into the Read Scan. The toolbox went on to successfully complete the Data Integrity scan.

Just for the heck of it, I'm now running the Quick Diagnostic Scan to see if it produces an error. It did not, it was 100% successful for both elements of the scan.

So my question is...what do I do now? Does my 240Gb Intel SSD truly contain an error? If yes, what does it mean & what do I do now?

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you please let us know if you have the same situation with the other system. Also, please attach the SMART details of both SSDs.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hi Junior,

Attached are four files, two each from my PC & my wife's, a screen shot of the scan with error message and the SMART details.

Hope this helps.

Steve Western

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thanks for the logs provided. We would investigate them, we will keep you posted with any updates.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

We already investigate your logs and all the SMART details are ok for both drives.

It seems that there could be an issue with the tool. We will provide this feedback to the tools team in order to check it for future releases. We just need some information in order to better provide the feedback to the engineers.

Please follow the next steps in both systems:

1-go to C:\intel\logs and check for the file that says IntelSSDToolbox.log and delete it.

2-Please open the Toolbox and try to run the full scan until you get the error message again. This will generate a new log file.

3-Please go back to C:\intel\logs and check the file that says IntelSSDToolbox.log, please attach both files to the thread so we can provide this information to the proper team to investigate for a future tool release.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

Hello Junior,

I did as you requested on both systems and encountered the same results.

1. I deleted the IntelSSDToolbox.log file.

2. I ran the installed SSD Toolbox, v. 3.4.7., expected error message received.

3. The scan did not create another IntelSSDToolbox.log file.

Best regards,

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

Thanks for the update.

Is there a possibility for you to reinstall the Toolbox in order to check if that generates the report requested?

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi SteveWestern,

We would like to inform you that there is a newer version for the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27460/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox 3.5.0. We recommend you to check the latest version and let us know if you have the same outcome.

Regards.

Junior M.
0 Kudos
SZimm3
Beginner

I'm sorry, Junior...same problem. Please note attached files.

Best regards,

SteveWestern

0 Kudos