Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

Solidigm Storage Tool crashes on launch.

BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I saw this show up in DSA so I figured I'd try it. It crashes on launch:

Application: Solidigm.UI.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.InvalidOperationException
at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<System.__Canon>)
at Solidigm.UI.Devices.DeviceList+<Scan>d__11.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at Solidigm.UI.MainPanelViewModel+<>c__DisplayClass0_0+<<-ctor>b__4>d.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at MvvmHelpers.Utils+<SafeFireAndForget>d__2.MoveNext()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at Solidigm.UI.App.Main()

Faulting application name: Solidigm.UI.exe, version: 1.0.16.0, time stamp: 0x97e13266
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1566, time stamp: 0x0833f2d4
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000034f69
Faulting process id: 0x1c0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d84ba605973389
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Solidigm\Solidigm(TM) Storage Tool\Solidigm.UI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 1767fba2-2a8c-4c17-86c7-a0ea949273d0
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I'm not surprised though. This is my NUC8i7HVK with 2 800P Optane drives in RAID 0 and Intel Memory and Storage Tool has always had a problem with this setup. No one at Intel will test the real hardware so they cannot replicate this since they are using a simulated environment. I'm going to try my other NUC8i7HVK that has 2 P1600X Optane drives on RAID 0, I suspect I will see the identical crash.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, BHarr8.

Thank you for posting on the Intel community Support Forums.

I received your case regarding a problem with the software you are trying to install, and I will be assisting you with this.

The Solidigm Storage Tool is designed for NAND storage devices, and I noticed you mentioned having Intel Optane SSDs in your systems, so I moved your thread to this particular community section.

Please try installing the latest Intel Memory and Storage tool, and let me know if you encounter any problems:

If you want more information regarding the SST, please visit the following links:

The Solidigm™ Storage Tool (Intel® branded NAND SSDs)

Download Solidigm Storage Tool (Intel® branded NAND SSDs)

Let me know if you encounter any problems with Intel MAS, and I will follow up on April 14th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Yeah I noticed the problem a while after I posted this thread. This is actually a DSA bug where DSA does not understand that Solidigm Storage Tool is for NAND only and recommends installing it on NUCs with Optane drives.

Sure, it should not crash when you do this, but since its not for Optane its not a super big deal. That said, DSA recommending Solidigm Storage Too for Optane is obviously a bug that needs to get fixed.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, BHarr8.

I agree, that tool should not be recommended if there are no Optane drives, so I will submit this feedback to the team in charge of Intel DSA.

The thread will be closed right now and no longer monitored by Intel support, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Monique_Intel

@BHarr8   This is Monique with Intel and I am the IDSA project manager.  In order to help trouble-shoot why you were getting this offering, please zip the entire IDSA folder found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA and attach to this thread so our developers can investigate and fix this issue.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

The file DSA_905p.zip is from my NUC9i9QNX with a single 905p SSD as the OS drive.

The file DSA_800p_RAID0.zip is from my NUC8i7HVK with 2 800p SSDs in RAID 0 as my OS drive.

I also have a laptop that uses Optane acceleration but its 1.2 meg DSA folder cannot be uploaded, it times out no matter how long I wait. It seems that this forums "Maximum size: 71 MB" limit is complete fiction.

0 Kudos
Monique_Intel

@BHarr8   Thank you for the files.  I've sent them to our IDSA developers to investigate.  I'll report back with their findings.

Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

Today is the first day since reporting on these bugs where the Optane accelerated laptops I support no longer recommend Solidigm Storage Tool through DSA.

I will check on the other systems soon to see if this bug has been resolved in the other configurations.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

I just confirmed that 2 800P Optane drives in RAID 0 are also no longer triggering Solidigm Storage Tool to be recommended through DSA.

I still need to check the 905P systems, I will try to do so today.

0 Kudos
BHarr8
Valued Contributor I

905P is also no longer causing DSA to suggest Solidigm Storage Tool. This DSA bug does seem to be completely fixed.

0 Kudos