Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14961 Discussions

20ns pulse generation at rising edge

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello,  

I'd like to generate a 20ns high signal at the rising edge of another (clocked, 330ns) signal. 

Formally, they are a 50MHz clock and a 3MHz clock. 

Right now, I am stuck at the very beginnin' of this task. I mean, I found many codes that can generate a pulse if a rising edge condition is meet. Anyway, there's no control on the pulse duration.  

I was thinking of a signal locked at the rising edge of the 3Mhz signal to trigger a state machine clocked @50Mhz. My problem is that I can't figure out how to deassert the trigger signal, since it will deassert on the next rising edge of the control signal.  

Here is a (wrong) code I made since now - i didn't include resets here to make it easibily readable.  

I don't expect a solution, or it to work. I'd like just a hint.  

--- Quote Start ---  

always@(posedge 3Mhz_signa)  

begin 

up<=1; 

end 

always@(posedge 50Mhz_signal) begin 

case(fsm) 

0:begin; 

data_out<=0; 

if up(fsm<=1); 

end 

1:begin; 

data_out<=1; 

fsm<=0; 

end 

endcase 

endmodule 

--- Quote End ---  

how can i deassert "up" signal after 20ns, being locked to posedge 3Mhz clk? 

I was thinking of a sort of "feedback", but still not ideas. 

EDIT:  

i seems like I didn't search enough on google.  

I found out this (http://www.oldcrows.net/~patchell/iparchive/oneshot.v) that's exactly what I needed. 

Basically, feedback was the right way.  

I've a long way to proper learn coding.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

So you need your trigger to be aligned with the rising edge of the 3 MHz clock and then go low 20 ns later? Did I understand you correctly? This is not possible with the clocks that you have.  

However, you can make a 20 ns pulse when a rising edge on 3 MHz is detected using the 50 MHz clock. The issue with what you are trying to do is that the 3 MHz and the 50 MHz clocks are not synchronous.  

/Boris
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I wanted a pulse generation triggered by the rising edge of the 3MHz Clok - I understand your point now, you're right.  

Anyway, the link I posted seems to be fair enough for my purpose, right now. I'll be back on the pulse generation, maybe.