Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15322 Discussions

A fairly basic question relating to Modelsim. I need to preset a counter during a simulation. "Force" maintains the counter at a fixed value - I need it to continue counting but from a pre-selected value. Thanks in anticipation. Alan Brown

ABrow3
Novice

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Alan,

Write a testbench for counter and pre-set counter value.

A process block with a wait or initial block.

Regards

Anand

ABrow3
Novice

Thank you Anand.

That is probably the best way to do it.

Regards,

Alan

hans86
Novice

I agree with Anand that the testbench is the best place, however, if you do want to use force command have a look at the many options and in particular the "-deposit" one;

force {<object_name> <value> [[@]<time_info>][, <value> [@]<time_info>]...

[-deposit | -drive | -freeze] [-cancel [@]<time_info>] [-repeat [@]<time_info>]

• -deposit

(optional) Sets the object to the specified <value>. The <value> remains until the object is

forced again, there is a subsequent driver transaction, or it is unforced with a noforce

command.

Good luck,

hans86

ABrow3
Novice

Thank you Hans!

That may well be the quick-fix I was looking for - I was not aware of those options. I will certainly give it a try.

Best regards,

Alan

ABrow3
Novice

Hello Hans.

I may be misinterpreting the command but using the "deposit" option does indeed force the counter output to a preset value but the counter output returns to the previous value (+1) after the next driver transaction (in this case input clocking of the counter). I had hoped it would continue counting from the preset value.

Have I missed something?

Thank you.

Regards,

Alan

hans86
Novice

Hi Alan,

I just tried it out and it works fine for me (Modelsim DE 2019.2). I have a simple counter in VHDL defined as:

signal count_s : std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); process (reset, clk) begin if reset='1' then count_s <= (others => '0'); elsif rising_edge(clk) then count_s + '1'; end if ; end process;

During simulation I can force it to any value and it continues from the forced value:

force -deposit test_tb/u1/count_s 36

Capture_Modelsim.PNG

Is your counter a variable? In that case you need to use the change command.

Regards,

Hans.

ABrow3
Novice

Interesting and thanks for the trouble.

I created a 14 bit counter using the Megawizard.

I have an old version of ModelSim (Starter edition 6.5b) although I doubt that there would be any fundamental differences. (?).

I will however try the command on a VHDLdefined counter.

Rgds

ABrow3
Novice

Some feedback:

The force/deposit command operates as you indicated on a VHDL counter. I do not know why it does not do so on a MegaWizard generated counter.

For now however, I have a solution.

Thank you.

Alan