Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

ALTDDIO_OUT error 15874

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I don`t know if this is the right forum for creating this thread. 

I have a problem when I use the ALTDDIO_OUT IP component in Quartus II, for a Cyclone V device. I want to use the same output pin for two input pins. I have a selector that tells you if you want to route one input pin or another to that output pin. 

In my case, I have two input ports: gb_A_tx_data and br1A_Rx_data. One of these inputs -gb_A_tx_data- comes from the ALTDDIO_OUT module, from its dataout output signal, like this 

ddr_pin_out_gb_A : DDR_PIN_OUT 

port map ( 

aclr => reset, 

datain_h => ddr_out_gb_A_high, 

datain_l => ddr_out_gb_A_low,  

outclock => clk125,  

dataout => gb_A_tx_data 

); .  

To select which port is going to the output port, I have done this: 

gb_A_tx_d <= gb_A_tx_data when fpga_mode /= "00" else br1A_Rx_data; 

The purpose of my device is to select which signal I want to connect to the output pin gb_A_tx_d. When I make that case, I receive this error: 

Error (15874): Output port DATAOUT of DDIO_OUT primitive "Port_Arbiter:inst7|DDR_PIN_OUT:ddr_pin_out_gb_A|altddio_out:ALTDDIO_OUT_component|ddio_out_hgj:auto_generated|ddio_outa[4]" must drive input port I of I/O OBUF primitive or input port DATAIN of DELAY_CHAIN primitive. 

Error (15874): Output port DATAOUT of DDIO_OUT primitive "Port_Arbiter:inst7|DDR_PIN_OUT:ddr_pin_out_gb_A|altddio_out:ALTDDIO_OUT_component|ddio_out_hgj:auto_generated|ddio_outa[3]" must drive input port I of I/O OBUF primitive or input port DATAIN of DELAY_CHAIN primitive. 

Error (15874): Output port DATAOUT of DDIO_OUT primitive "Port_Arbiter:inst7|DDR_PIN_OUT:ddr_pin_out_gb_A|altddio_out:ALTDDIO_OUT_component|ddio_out_hgj:auto_generated|ddio_outa[2]" must drive input port I of I/O OBUF primitive or input port DATAIN of DELAY_CHAIN primitive. 

Error (15874): Output port DATAOUT of DDIO_OUT primitive "Port_Arbiter:inst7|DDR_PIN_OUT:ddr_pin_out_gb_A|altddio_out:ALTDDIO_OUT_component|ddio_out_hgj:auto_generated|ddio_outa[1]" must drive input port I of I/O OBUF primitive or input port DATAIN of DELAY_CHAIN primitive. 

If I don`t make the case and I connect directly the dataout to the output pin, I don`t receive the error. I mean, if I make gb_A_tx_d <= gb_A_tx_data I don't have any problem. 

I understand that the ALTDDIO_OUT must be connected to the output pin directly. But, how can I get my purpose? Is that possible?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the ddr output is meant for external output only (not inside fpga). you can mux your high/low inputs into ddr instead

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

the ddr output is meant for external output only (not inside fpga). you can mux your high/low inputs into ddr instead 

--- Quote End ---  

The problem is that I have to use the same output pin for two signals. I mean, I want to mux the output, not the input. If I mux high/low I will have the same problem in the output pin. Or maybe I have not understood your proposal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The problem is that I have to use the same output pin for two signals. I mean, I want to mux the output, not the input. If I mux high/low I will have the same problem in the output pin. Or maybe I have not understood your proposal. 

--- Quote End ---  

No you wouldn't. you can mux before ddr as many signals as you wish.
0 Kudos