Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

About STP Stability

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! My question is about the stability of Signal Tap II, it seems to be strange. When i add signals to or subtract signals from my STP file, the whole program does not work at all! It's not every time, but indeed happens quite often. What's most typical is all the signals in STP will become zeros.  

I used maximum fan-out constraint, but it only worked sometime. What's wrong with this? Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Nobody replied? Anybody met this problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Nobody replied? Anybody met this problem? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

which Quartus version do you use ? Which kind of nodes did you use ( e.g. post-fit ) ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm using Quartus 9.1, and using pre-synthesis nodes. 

what's different between pre-synthesis and post-fit nodes? I have thought post-fit nodes don't work most of the time.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'm using Quartus 9.1, and using pre-synthesis nodes. 

what's different between pre-synthesis and post-fit nodes? I have thought post-fit nodes don't work most of the time. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

post-fit nodes are nodes which are left after synthesis and place&route. The problem with this nodes is that they changed during a new compilation run ( e.g. different name) and therefore no longer available. That is the reason why you will asked to lock down your design when you choose this kind of nodes. 

Can please explain your problem more detailed ? E.g. what exactly do you change when it is not working .... 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Happy new year 2011 (before 2012 :-) ) 

When you add or remove signals in STP, you have to recompile the project. 

Normally, you can't connect to an in situ STP if it doesn't match your STP file. 

Perhaps, have a look at timing constraints. STP uses a jtag clock and there will be a cross clock .... 

Do your design meet timing requirements ?  

--- Quote Start ---  

Can please explain your problem more detailed ? E.g. what exactly do you change when it is not working .... 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

post-fit nodes are nodes which are left after synthesis and place&route. The problem with this nodes is that they changed during a new compilation run ( e.g. different name) and therefore no longer available. That is the reason why you will asked to lock down your design when you choose this kind of nodes. 

Kind regards 

GPK 

--- Quote End ---  

Thanks for your reply! 

while, i only added or subtracted some less important signals that i didn't care about, e.g. some intermediate flag signals or counter signals or calculation results, then sometimes it will not work.  

Maybe it is like what you said, the signals don't exist any longer. I will try it. 

But can only changing signals in STP make great changes in place&route results when re-compiled?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! Happy new year! 

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, Happy new year 2011 (before 2012 :-) ) 

When you add or remove signals in STP, you have to recompile the project. 

Normally, you can't connect to an in situ STP if it doesn't match your STP file. 

Perhaps, have a look at timing constraints. STP uses a jtag clock and there will be a cross clock .... 

Do your design meet timing requirements ? 

--- Quote End ---  

I have recompiled my project, and all the timing requirement was met. 

But as what i said, i used "maximum fan-out" constraint, and it will solve the problem sometime, but not every time. And I'm sure that every time all the timing requirement was met.
0 Kudos