Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16667 Discussions

Add SignalTap II ,the project won't compilation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Guys: 

before i add some signal to the signaltap II ,the whole project compilation is complete , and it work well on FPGA , but after i add some signal to the signaltap the compile came up with error. 

the signal i add is a SRAM "wrdata" signal ,the ERROR is like below: 

ERROR: Output port 0 of I/O output buffer " pre_syn.bp.Signature_pipe_U_signature_0_~output" must drive a top-level pin  

can anyone tell me how to fix this problem? thanks in advance:-P
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

May be because you are tapping an output signal  

You can check once by adding a signal which is driving this output to signaltap instead of adding an output signal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am not sure but I have seen this error when you do not connect a pin that can be an input and output (i.e can tristate the output) directly to a pin. Maybe signaltap does not like probing I/O pins. 

C
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've had this problem and it seems that SignalTap cant tap a tristate or bidirectional bus. This may be because the synthesiser converts a bidirectional bus into something else (FPGAs don't really do tristate busses internally) and the pre-synthesis nets don't exist.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

May be because you are tapping an output signal  

You can check once by adding a signal which is driving this output to signaltap instead of adding an output signal 

--- Quote End ---  

thank you very much ! it helps
0 Kudos