Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16592 Discussions

Altera OpenCL SDK with Visual Studio 2015

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Is there anyone tried to setup the development environment with VS2015 and successfully build the Host program? 

The VS2010 is used in the Altera get started guide for the env setup. I have tried the setup wit VS2013. The only downside of VS2013 is PDB info is not available in Debug build, as the PDB files are for VS2010. But I just could not make it work in VS2015. 

Thanks for help.
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you probably run into some incompatibly issue? to ensure what you trying to suspect is correct, maybe do a quick one by down grading to VS2010 and redo then.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yep, the same setup works for VS2013, but failed on VS2015. 

It seems the C/C++ runtime used by Altera (v15.0) is not compatible with VS2015. Just wondering, if anyone try out the v15.1 Altera SDK with VS2015, and make a successful compile.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

when you reinstall to VS2015, just to confirm is all the environment path is pointing to VS2015 one?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yep, the cmd I am using is from the VS2015, i think it is not path issue, should be sth like the VS2015 is using a different version of the ms runtime/compile time libs

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

sorry for not able to help on this, out of depth.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

still good to have your reply, please let me know if you make it work later. :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got stuck as well with Visual Studio 2015.  

I do not know what to set for property Platform Toolset”. Training material suggest Window71.1SDK but I can not install it on my system. None of the available options work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have had success compiling the vector_add test code with Visual Studio v14.0 (aka 2015)  

1) change Project vector_add properties Additional Depenancies "OpenCL.lib;legacy_stdio_definitions.lib;%(Additio nalDependencies)"  

2) change the main.cpp program, at top of file after includes 

FILE _iob[] = { *stdin, *stdout, *stderr };  

extern "C" FILE * __cdecl __iob_func(void) { return _iob; }  

extern "C" void __imp__set_output_format(void) {}; 

This may break other things, but the vector_add test works with these changes. (refs https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31242820 , https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30412951 )
0 Kudos