Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16713 Discussions

Asynchronous Ripple-Counter without compiler warning?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi there, 

I needed an asynchronous counter to count the frequencies of ring oscillators. 

So I built a ripple-counter by concatenating T-type (toggle) flip-flops. Everytime the input "clock" of such a flip-flop changes, the flip-flop changes its output value: 

entity t_ff is port ( -- Input ports q_in : in std_logic; rst : in std_logic; -- InOut ports q_out : inout std_logic ); end entity t_ff; architecture logic of t_ff is begin process(q_in, rst) begin if rst = '1' then q_out <= '0'; elsif falling_edge(q_in) then q_out <= q_out xnor q_in; end if; end process; end architecture logic; 

To build the ripple-counter, I connected the q-out of one T-flip-flop to the q_in of the next flip-flop. 

It works as expected, but during compilation with Quartus I get several warnings of the form: 

Warning (332060): Node: ripple_counter:my_counter|t_ff:\create_other_ff:1:create|q_out~reg0 was determined to be a clock but was found without an associated clock assignment. 

Is there a way of telling Quartus that it should not be concerned about this? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Afaik, there are very few warnings in quartus you can really suppress. These usually come about because you're doing something that an FPGA isnt really designed for, 

Btw, code appraisal: you shouldnt really read inout ports. The "prefered" method is to declare q_out an out and have an internal local signal. 

Or switch on the VHDL 2008 compile compatability and you can read out ports (like in verilog), to avoid using inout.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to add create_generated_clock for any new clock that comes out of a register. 

Though such method of clocking is not recommended but is possible.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your answers! 

Regarding "create_generated_clock": Excuse my ignorance, but in which TCL file would I have to add these commands? 

Furthermore, by what I was able to find online, I understand that create_generated_clock needs a source clock. 

So is 

ripple_counter:my_counter|t_ff:\remaining_ff:1: create|q_out~reg0 

the source of 

ripple_counter:my_counter|t_ff:\remaining_ff:2: create|q_out~reg0 

and so forth? 

Could anybody give me a hint about how to write the complete create_generated_clock command? 

This is the updated code of the ripple-counter and the T-flip-flop (incorporating the advise by Tricky): 

entity t_ff is port ( -- Input ports q_in : in std_logic; rst : in std_logic; -- Output ports q_out : out std_logic ); end entity t_ff; architecture logic of t_ff is signal internal_q : std_logic := '0'; begin q_out <= internal_q; process(q_in, rst, internal_q) begin -- Reset=1 sets the flip flop to 0. if rst = '0' then if falling_edge(q_in) then internal_q <= not internal_q; end if; -- reset = 1 else internal_q <= '0'; end if; end process; end architecture logic;  

entity ripple_counter is generic ( bit_length : integer := 26 ); port ( -- Input ports clock : in std_logic; reset : in std_logic; run_counter : in std_logic; -- Output ports q : out std_logic_vector((bit_length-1) downto 0) ); end entity ripple_counter; architecture logic of ripple_counter is component t_ff port ( q_in : in std_logic; rst : in std_logic; q_out : out std_logic ); end component; -- Input bit for first t_ff. signal q_0 : std_logic := '0'; signal internal_q : std_logic_vector ((bit_length-1) downto 0); begin q <= internal_q; -- Create first T-FlipFlop. first_ff: t_ff port map (q_0, reset, internal_q(0)); -- Create (bit_length-2) T-FlipFlops. remaining_ff: for i in 1 to bit_length-1 generate create: t_ff port map (internal_q(i-1), reset, internal_q(i)); end generate; process(clock, run_counter) begin if run_counter = '1' then q_0 <= clock; else q_0 <= '0'; end if; end process; end architecture logic;
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

it is all here 

Timing_Analysis_of_Internally_Generated_Clocks_in_Timequest_v2.0.pdf
0 Kudos