Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

Can I use virtual pins with SignalTap?

PapaPerc
Beginner
Hello all. I’m implementing a simple 5x5 8bit matrix multiplier using VHDL. I’m using DE10-lite as my FPGA and since it doesn’t have enough pins to support 3 200 bit busses, I used virtual pin assignments. I’m using SignalTap to verify my design, and I’m wondering if I can use SignalTap to assert the input data. I’ve included a screenshot of the setup tab in SignalTap. Thank you!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Signal Tap does not assert anything.  It is for monitoring only.  If you want to assert signal levels during runtime (like having switches to control internal signals), use In-System Sources & Probes.

0 Kudos
hareesh
Employee

Hi PapaPerc,

Through the signal tap doesn't possible to assert that input data. go through the bellow video you will get virtual pins selecting and monitoring the signals.

link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/programmable/fpga-virtual-pin-assignments-video.html?wapkw=virtual%20pins

Thanks,

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Virtual pins don't let you assert signal values as OP is asking about.  They're just placeholders for I/O.

0 Kudos