cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Cannot edit the generated PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0

Hi All, 

I am using Quartus Prime v18.0 and generated PLL IP v18.0. I have successfully generated the PLL and added into the project but when I tried to modify it in the IP components, the MegaWizard failed to launch, below is the complete message of the problem. 

"Failed to launch MegaWizard Plug-In Manager. PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0 could not be found in the specified library paths."  

See attachment for the screenshot. 

I tried other IP components, like FIFO, ALTLVDS_RX, ALTLVDS_TX, ALTCLKCTRL, all of it works fine. 

Quartus Prime: Version 18.0.0 Build 614 04/24/2018 SJ Standard Edition 

Target Device: Arria V GX (5AGXBB3D4F35I5) 

Machine: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 

Also, I tried the same thing on other PC (Windows 7) but the problem is the same. 

Need help to fix this issue. 

Thank You. 

Zeahr
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi Zeahr, 

Thank you for your efforts, I replicated the issue & got the same “library paths” issue. We will come back soon.  

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I'm having the same problem with "Triple-Speed Ethernet" core. I used to be able to edit the core in a number of ways including opening the EMAC.vhd file generated by the wizard (attached) or double-clicking on the core in "IP Components" view.  

I'm on Windows 7 and using "Quartus 18.0 Standard".  

This was a project that worked fine in Rev 17.1. When I opened it, it asked to upgrade IP components. That feature seems broken as well since "Perform Automatic Upgrade" etc were greyed out and the only option available was close.  

Without a workaround, this essentially makes 18.0 unusable.  

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15534
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

We acknowledge this issue and got a bug entry in the internal bug system. We will get back to you once we hear from our engineering team.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I have the same problem. My current project was upgraded from 16.1. But, I don't think the upgrade matters. I created a new PLL. Creation seems to be okay. But, afterwards you can not edit the PLL. This is a Cyclone V GX. Running on Windows 8.1. 

Painful time consuming workaround is to open the top ".v" file of the PLL. Save the "Retrieval info:" from that file. Remove the old generated IP. Generate new IP from the IP Catalog while manually reading the "Retrieval Info:" to determine GUI settings. In other words, I have not found a way to edit PLL Intel FPGA IP after it is generated. (I wonder if this is due to renaming stuff from Altera to Intel.) 

Hope there is a fix soon.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

This may be a bug caused by an incorrect replacement of the Altera name by Intel in the ip library. 

Until this is fixed, I could fix this like this: 

> locate the .lst file of the missing IP in your IntelFGPA program directory, for example for the missing PLL, locate: "pll_wizard.lst" 

> Change the text:  

"<ALIAS>Altera PLL v18.0</ALIAS> " 

(and higher version numbers) to: 

"<ALIAS>PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0</ALIAS>" 

I hope this helps you also for the other IPs. 

Due to all documentation update notices due to the Altera -> Intel re-branding, it is hard to see the real improvements that are being made...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you schendel. 

Changing the alias name of the IP in the .lst file does fix the issue. Thanks for the solution. 

I started with "root_wizard.lst" and followed a few of the other paths to the individual IP's .lst files. It looks like Intel has not had anybody go through and scrub the all <IP name>.lst files, yet. Sure would have been easier to just leave everything "Altera" and call PSG something like Intel's Altera Group or just Intel/Altera.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

This may be a bug caused by an incorrect replacement of the Altera name by Intel in the ip library. 

Until this is fixed, I could fix this like this: 

> locate the .lst file of the missing IP in your IntelFGPA program directory, for example for the missing PLL, locate: "pll_wizard.lst" 

> Change the text:  

"<ALIAS>Altera PLL v18.0</ALIAS> " 

(and higher version numbers) to: 

"<ALIAS>PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0</ALIAS>" 

I hope this helps you also for the other IPs. 

Due to all documentation update notices due to the Altera -> Intel re-branding, it is hard to see the real improvements that are being made... 

--- Quote End ---  

That seems to work. It looks like the ALIAS in the .lst file must be edited to match the generated core. In my case, I have a file MAIN_PLL.vhd that I opened in Pre 18.0 in order to start the wizard. At the top it has: 

-- megafunction wizard: %PLL Intel FPGA IP v18.0%  

which matches what you said to change the ALIAS to.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

schendel, 

It also worked for the TSE. It was a bit different in that it did not have an ALIAS at all for v18.0 so I just added: 

<ALIAS>Triple-Speed Ethernet Intel FPGA IP v18.0</ALIAS> 

and it now works. The contents of the ALIAS were taken from the first line of the generated .vhd file for the core.  

Thanks again.
PPrib
Beginner

October, 2018 - This is still a problem in 18.1, although luckily the solution described above works. For the file pll_wizard.lst specifically, I search-and-replaced all occurrences of the string

Altera PLL

with

PLL Intel FPGA IP

Quartus now opens the IP Component appropriately.

Intel: What's up?

MAmin
Beginner

Hello I too am having issues similar to those mentioned above.

I cannot find the specified library path after upgrading from 16.1 to 18.1 for the Native PHY IP.

Please help.

There does not seem to be a .lst file located in the ip generated directory.

I did a search in the product folder and nothing came up.

TScho16
Beginner

The .lst files are located in the installation directory, e.g. C:\intelFPGA_lite\18.1\ip\altera.

MAmin
Beginner

I got it. Was able to find the .lst file in the install directory.

For those who are also stuck.

C:\intelFPGA\18.1\ip\altera\alt_xcvr\altera_xcvr_native_phy\cv