Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15321 Discussions

Clock Buffering and Fanout on Max V Devices.

MGrab6
Beginner

Using:

5M570 Max V CLPD speed grade 5.

CLK_IN is and in port

div_clk(3 downto 0) is a signal

I have a clock that is derived from a counter to provide divide by 4 functionality, and other prescaler divisions. An input clock CLK_IN is on one of the dedicated clock pins and is synthesized to a global clock in the fitter report. The div_cnt(1) is dividing by 4 and is also used for a clock with a fanout of 129. This is also assigned to a global clock and verified via the fitter after synthesis.

The TimeQuest analyzer is giving me Fmax=17.75MHz for div_cnt(1) and Fmax CLK_IN=238.1MHz. div_cnt(3) has an Fmax=105.3MHz fanout of 6 also a global clock.

If I change all instances of div_cnt(1) in all they processes with CLK_IN TimeQuest gives Fmax=24.23MHz also with a fanout of 129.

I suspect the slow time of the div_cnt(1) signal is due to the large fanout. The same design was faster with the CLK_IN with the same fanout.

1. Is there a buffer issue with the way the div_clk(1) is connected to the global clock bus? It is verified via the fitter that it is a global clock.
  2. The Max V does not appear to have a PLL or ALTCLKCTRL megafunction?
  3. Attempts to buffer it they synthesizer just get deleted by the synthesizer. I have one remaining global clock, is there a way to assign the same signal more than one global clock, I can balance the fanout manually by using the two clocks for different process?

I'd be happy with any other suggestions. I have plenty of space left on the device.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

May I request the design for investigation?

Thanks.