Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15321 Discussions

Custom Instruction accessing SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am currently trying to update a memory location content inside SDRAM from a custom instruction(function called from nios ii). From what I understand, I need to use avalon memory mapped interfaces. 

tried the following implementation below, but would not get it to work. is there something that I missed out or misinterpreted? 

inside QSYS the custom instruction having a MM master connected to SDRAM MM slave, and for the custom instruction side, a template for avalon mm simple master is being added with a portion of the codes included for custom instruction. 

//avalon MM Master port input clock, reset; output reg avalon_master_address; output avalon_master_byteenable; output reg avalon_master_read; input avalon_master_readdata; input avalon_master_response; input avalon_master_waitrequest; //not used output reg avalon_master_write; output reg avalon_master_writedata; assign avalon_master_byteenable = 4'b1111; always@(posedge clk) begin if(clk_en) begin if(start) begin case(n) 2 : begin avalon_master_address <= addressA; avalon_master_writedata <= dataB; avalon_master_read <= 1'b0; avalon_master_write <= 1'b1; if(avalon_master_response == 2'b00) n2_done <= 1'b1; end end end end end  

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why do you need a custom instruction for this? And the code you post is not complete. It's not clear what n and n2_done are. 

If you are trying to implement a state machine, I suggest following the state machine template.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Plus, this is not how you construct a Nios custom instruction. There are certain ports you need to use (not standard Avalon) and you connect it to the Nios's custom instruction master interface. See this online training: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/oniicus.html