Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16636 Discussions

Cyclone 10 GX EMIF Design Example: I/O assignment errors

Jeff9
Novice

Hello,

I'm following the Cyclone 10 GX EMIF IP Design Example User Guide in the below web page.

1. Design Example Quick Start Guide for External Memory Interfaces... (intel.com)

The EMIF project was created accordingly. However, I met compilation errors as below. Please help me to solve the problem. The full compilation log and the archived project are attached.

Thanks.

[Error Message]

Warning (15714): Some pins have incomplete I/O assignments. Refer to the I/O Assignment Warnings report for details
Critical Warning (12677): No exact pin location assignment(s) for 653 pins of 653 total pins. For the list of pins please refer to the I/O Assignment Warnings table in the fitter report
Info (12785): Fitter finished merging On-chip termination (OCT) logic blocks
Info (12786): Removing unused on-chip termination logic block "emif_c10_0|arch|arch_inst|oct_inst|cal_oct.powerup_oct_cal.termination_logic_inst" from the netlist
Info (176045): Design uses memory blocks. Violating setup or hold times of memory block address registers for either read or write operations could cause memory contents to be corrupted. Make sure that all memory block address registers meet the setup and hold time requirements.
Error (179000): Design requires 658 user-specified I/O pins -- too many to fit in the 284 user I/O pin locations available in the selected device
Info (179001): Current design requires 658 user-specified I/O pins -- 658 normal user-specified I/O pins and 0 programming pins that have been constrained to use dual-purpose I/O pin locations
Info (179002): Targeted device has 284 I/O pin locations available for user I/O -- 240 general-purpose I/O pins and 44 dual-purpose I/O pins
Error (15307): Cannot apply project assignments to the design due to illegal or conflicting assignments. Refer to the other messages for corrective action.
Error (16297): An error has occurred while trying to initialize the plan stage.
Error: Quartus Prime Fitter was unsuccessful. 3 errors, 2 warnings
Error: Peak virtual memory: 6458 megabytes
Error: Processing ended: Fri Apr 14 15:19:00 2023
Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:11

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeff,

No, you should not choose "Project Template".

I am thinking that you are not opened the generated example design.

If you are referring to Figure 3 in Section 1.3, there is a path to where the generated example design is created.

Usually, the project design is located in emif_0_example_design/qii/ed_synth.qpf

Can you check the design in this path?

Regards,

Adzim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeff,

I have checked the design in the attachment. The design only has an EMIF IP and the top level is EMIF IP.

This does not look like a complete example design generated by Quartus.

Please follow the instruction from below link to generate an example design:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683096/21-1-19-1-0/generating-the-synthesizable-emif-design.html

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
Jeff9
Novice

Hi Adzim,

Thank you for the answer. When I create the project, the type was empty project as the user guide. Do you mean I had to choose "Project template" instead of "Empty project"? 

I applied a DDR3 preset (DDR3-1600K CL11 Component 1CS 4Gb (256Mb x16)) with the platform designer as you suggested. My board has two 256Mb x16 DDR3 ICs. So, the DQ width was changed from 16 to 32 at the "Memory" tab in EMIF FPGA IP.

"Generate Example Design" and  "Generate HDL" were done again with the updated IP. However, I still see the similar compilation errors. Do you have some other suggestions for this? 

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeff,

No, you should not choose "Project Template".

I am thinking that you are not opened the generated example design.

If you are referring to Figure 3 in Section 1.3, there is a path to where the generated example design is created.

Usually, the project design is located in emif_0_example_design/qii/ed_synth.qpf

Can you check the design in this path?

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos
Jeff9
Novice

Hi Adzim,

The compilation errors were found from "example_design\emif_example.qpf". 

When I opened the project "example_design\emif_c10_0_example_design\qii\ed_synth.qpf", the full compilation is working.

Thank you so much. then, the below compilation step also indicates the qpf file under the qii folder?

1.8. Compiling and Programming the Intel® Cyclone® 10 GX EMIF Design...

Regards,

Jeff

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Jeff,

I am glad that you are successfully running full compilation.

Yes the example design project directory should always generated in qii folder. All the related files are included in this folder.

Regards,

Adzim

0 Kudos