Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Design Security Features (Encryption) - Indication for existing non-volatile key in the FPGA

Amir3
New Contributor I

Hey,

Is there an indication in Quartus for existing non-volatile key in the FPGA?

1. I programmed epk file, without 'Tamper protection bit', into the FPGA.

2. After I programmed the encrypted JIC file into the flash memory device and powered on, the FPGA didn't work.

3. when I programmed the normal JIC file into the flash memory device and powered on, It worked fine.

In all the above operations, the 'Programmer' tool reported that the programming process was successful.

I'm trying to figure out if programming the epk file was successful, because the 'Programmer' tool let me program the epk file into the FPGA over and over again, and I know that programming process should be one-time.

More details:

- FPGA - Cyclone V - 5CEFA7U19I7N.

- Configuration Scheme - AS QSPI (x4).

- Flash memory device - MT25QL256, Micron.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

For design security, please refer to AN 556 below;

https://www.intel.com/programmable/technical-pdfs/683269.pdf

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Amir3
New Contributor I

Hey Aiman,

I read this document and I didn't find the specific indication I needed.

I just want an indication in Quartus for existing non-volatile key in the FPGA via JTAG communication.

Thanks

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What do you mean by " indication in Quartus for existing non-volatile key in the FPGA via JTAG communication"  ?

All information for design security including non volatile are in the AN 556. Did you follow the steps in the AN 556?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Amir3
New Contributor I

Hi Ayman,

Yes, I followed the steps in the AN 556 document.

This means that I am looking for an indication in Quartus or the other tools (Programmer and more..) via JTAG communication.

The indication - is there a non-volatile key on this particular FPGA? - Yes or No.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You can also refer to this forum post for non-volatile key Cyclone V.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Programmable-Devices/Can-you-use-the-non-volatile-key-from-the-FPGA-Cyclone-V-in-a/m-p/667660

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos