Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16755 Discussions

Displaying debug messages in System Console

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

In System Console, the send_message command can be used to print informative messages in the "Messages" panel. The help for the function says:% help send_message Sends a message of the given level to the message window. Available levels are info, warning, error, and debug. Arguments: <level> <message> 

This works fine the the info, warning and error levels, but each time I use the debug level, nothing happens. I probably have to enable the debug level somewhere to see the messages, but I can't find anything in the documentation about this, nor any global level procedure or variable whose name would suggest it could be used to enable debug messages. 

Does anyone know how to do this? 

Right now I'm using the info level, but I'd like to be able to enable/disable the display of some debug messages. I could do my own wrapper around send_message and use a global variable to enable or disable those messages, but if the functionality is there already why not use it... 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try to add a file named quartus.ini containing  

debug_msg=on 

in your project folder then have it a go. You may not need to recompile your project but if it does not work, try to recompile it. 

BR
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I run system console independently from any Quartus project, so I wouldn't know where to put this setting. Anyway I tried to do that in the Quartus project I was working on but it didn't change anything. I'll contact Altera support.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Debug level messages are ignored by default. Add the --debug command line argument when you run SystemConsole and you'll see them (and a lot of internal debug messages)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes this works. Thank you! Indeed there are a lot of internal debug messages too, I guess it wasn't really meant to be used by us.

0 Kudos