Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

Dynamic width of inputs in VHDL.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I'm finishing my final year project and while connecting a lot of components together I ran into a problem I missed while writing the first component.  

I would want to dynamically change the width of my std_logic_vector inputs or a least create signals that have dynamic width depending on an inputed natural, example: 

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

use ieee.numeric_std.all; 

entity test1111 is 

port( 

n: in natural  

); 

end test1111; 

architecture archtest of test1111 is 

signal lk:std_logic_vector(n downto 0); 

begin 

end archtest; 

In this example I have to following problems: the signal lk gives the error: expression is not constant vhdl., does this mean that signals in vhdl HAVE to have constant widths? 

I got the same problem when declaring a function: 

function main (poly_in00:std_logic_vector ; n,k: natural) RETURN std_logic_vector is 

variable vPoly : std_logic_vector(n downto 0) := (others => '0'); 

Now, normally I would use the 'length parameter in a function, but in this case I have a 2000 wide std_logic_vector but only need a part of it(n) for calculations 

It would be awesome if anyone could help, thanks a lot! 

Fred
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If n is static per simulation run, then use a generic. 

If n needs to change during the simulation, then either dynamically create the std_logic_vector, or use a vector with a width that is the maximum value for n. In that case, use a subtype for port n that restricts the values for n, eg., subtype n_t is natural range 0 to 2000. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hm, I seem to still have the same problem, I declared n_t is natural range 0 to 2000 in a library 

ENTITY logic IS 

PORT( clock, reset, readyfsmtologic: IN STD_logic; 

n,k: in n_t; 

datafsmtologic : in std_logic_vector(63 downto 0); 

datalogictofsm : out std_logic_vector(63 downto 0); 

donelogictofsm : out std_logic  

); 

END logic; 

FUNCTION main (poly_in00:std_logic_vector ; nf, kf: n_t) RETURN std_logic_vector is 

variable out:std_logic_vector(2*nf + 1 downto 0):=(others=>'0'); 

begin 

--function 

end 

It says that the line 

variable out:std_logic_vector(2*nf + 1 downto 0):=(others=>'0'); 

Error (10779): VHDL error at logic.vhd(118): expression is not constant 

Fred
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Rather than posting code snippets, could you post a zip file with a minimal set of files. 

Note, try not to use reserved keywords in your code, otherwise you will get weird errors - 'out' is a keyword. 

I don't think that is your error, but its a good thing to keep in mind. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You cannot dynamically resize signals while a simulation is running. They have to be fixed size during a run, so you will have to go with the generic suggestion and make the size of the vector the worst case size. Think about it- trying to resize a signal is like trying to add more wires to a circuit while it is switched on, which is physically impossible. 

The only way you can "dynamically" change an array size is with a pointer type, but you cannot synthesise them and are for testbenching only.
0 Kudos