Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Free support for Cyclone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

First of all I'm new to this forum and FPGA in general so please understand my lack of knowledge. 

Now for the topic. I wanted to get familiar with FPGA and one of my lecturers in faculty gave me some old Cyclone (I) development board which was laying around unused. It came with software CD (includes old Quartus II version and some other tools), but that software was old and licensed (not unlike the the new Quartus II Web edition which is free). So I decided to install the new version of Quartus and the problem is that there is no Cyclone (I) device support under free edition, but only in the Quartus Subscription edition, although on the web page of Cyclone (I) it says that there is a free software ("You can also download the customer-acclaimed Quartus® II Web Edition software now for free, and no license required."). 

So is there a way how I could learn a bit of FPGAs for free?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Some low-cost Cyclone IV boards are available on Ebay, which are suitable for use with Quartus II 12.1 Web Edition.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The DE0 and DE0-nano are inexpensive and you may be able to get an academic discount.  

If you do not want to purchase a dev kit, you can always create designs and simulate them using software like ModelSim, which has a free version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I use Quartus 9.1 Web Edition for most of my development (it still has a built-in simulator) and it appears to support the Cyclone I family. I believe there is a way to download earlier versions of Quartus from the Altera website.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos