Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16637 Discussions

Generate a bianry code from an integer array?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

I am trying to work for first time with integer arrays. I am not so used to work with them, and I am not able to compile my code.  

At first, I have created a package, for the arrays of integers: 

--- Quote Start ---  

LIBRARY ieee; 

USE ieee.std_logic_1164.all; 

USE ieee.numeric_std.all; 

PACKAGE inputnumberrs IS 

constant longitude : integer := 4; 

type num is array (longitude-1 to 0) of integer; 

END;  

--- Quote End ---  

BTW, I suppose that I will be able to modify this "longitude" constant for another number in ModelSim, right? Forcing the signal or something i suppose. 

Then, I have created the entity of another project:  

--- Quote Start ---  

entity generator is 

generic (longitude : integer := 4); 

port (X, Y : in num; 

clk : in std_logic); 

end generator; 

--- Quote End ---  

And what I want to do is, for example, itroducing 2314 to X and to generate "0010 0011 0001 0100", so I have tryied this: 

--- Quote Start ---  

architecture Behavioral of generator is 

signal t, u : integer := 0; 

signal a,b : std_logic_vector (longitude*longitude downto 0); 

begin 

process  

begin 

wait until CLK'EVENT and CLK = '1'; 

for i in 0 to (longitud*longitud) loop 

a(u)<= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(x,4));  

t<= t+1; 

u <= u + 4 ;  

end loop; 

wait; 

end process; 

end behavioral; 

--- Quote End ---  

The compilation error I get is : Error (10409): VHDL Type Conversion error at generar_numeros.vhd(40): converted type of object near text or symbol "std_logic_vector" must match std_ulogic type of target object 

and i do not have any idea why it is not compiling. If I write a <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(x,4)); , withouth the (U), it compiles but does not work :( Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Several issues in the code: 

1. Your Num type is a null array (ie, it has 0 length) 

type num is array (longitude-1 to 0) of integer; 

This is a null array, so has length 0. with an ascending array (using to), the larger number must be on the right. So you need to use: 

type num is array (0 to longitude-1) of integer; 

A a descending array (using downto) is the opposite. 

2. You have a longitude generic, but the length of the num type is set in the package. So having longitude generic set to anything other than 4 will not work. PS. having a generic called longitude means you've hidden the longitude constant in the inputnumberrs package  

3. Your a and b slvs are (16 downto 0) ie. 17 bits long. Did you forget the -1? 

4. a(u) is a single bit, the 0th element of the a slv. Also, x is an array of integers. to_unsigned only convers a single integer. You also are using the literal 4, when you should probably be using the generic or constant (see issues above) 

5. why have you got a for loop, when you dont use the loop variable, i? 

6. I assume this is test code, as this will not synthesis as you have a wait statement at the end of the process. So on the first clock, you set a value of A, and then thats it? 

7. t is unused. 

a <= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(x,4)) cannot be working with the code you posted, as X is an array of 4 integers, and no to_unsigned function exists to convert multiple integers, unless you have defined it yourself. 

So, is this just test code? it cannot work on an FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are assigning a bit vector to a single bit which isn't possible, a simple issue of VHDL syntax. 

You want to write something like 

a(u+3 downto u)<= std_logic_vector(to_unsigned(x,4)); 

--- Quote Start ---  

And what I want to do is, for example, introducing 2314 to X and to generate "0010 0011 0001 0100", so I have tryied this: 

--- Quote End ---  

2314 isn't an array of integer literal, it's either a decimal value or a string respectively character array.
0 Kudos