Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15311 Discussions

Generate an IP core using Quartus Standard Edition 30-days evaluation period

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

I have experience with other FPGA manufacturer and respective tools an now I have to send my VHDL code to other entity/person that will run in an INTEL FPGA (Stratix IV). 

That entity/person has knowledge in INTEL FPGAs and respective tools but I do not intend to send directly the source code, which was written in pure VHDL. 

Since in the near future I do not see that need to work with INTEL FPGAs, I was thinking the following:  

To use the Intel Quartus Prime Standard Edition but just the 30-days evaluation period to generate an IP core from my VHDL code; 

- Is it possible? 

- Being the IP core generated with Quartus evaluation license, will the generated IP has any limitation (in period of time, or other) ? So, is it possible the to use the generated IP core forever ? 

- Since, I do not intend to provide the source code, is it possible to encrypt/lock the IP core (even with the Quartus evaluation license) ? 

Is there any documentation related with this issue, namely limitations with the Quartus 30-days evaluation period and the generation of our own IP cores ? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

What kind of ip core are you trying to provide. The trial version won't produce programming files or time limited IP cores.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

What kind of ip core are you trying to provide. The trial version won't produce programming files or time limited IP cores. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your fast reply. 

I have my own VHDL code (written in pure VHDL) which performs several specific functions of an algorithm. 

I do not intend to produce programming files (bitstream), I just want to generate an IP from my VHDL code an sent it to other entity.  

Then, the other entity will receive that IP and integrate it in its project/development. 

The doubt is the following: with the Quartus 30-days evaluation period, am I able to generate an IP without any limitation (in time or other) ? 

Therefore, my IP (generated with Quartus 30-days evaluation period) can be used by the other entity (with Quartus licensed) in the next years without any limitation, correct ? 

Thanks in advance.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

I think features like partial configuration and netlist generation are only available with a full licence.  

Any reason you cannot just provide the source code to the 3rd party?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I think features like partial configuration and netlist generation are only available with a full licence.  

Any reason you cannot just provide the source code to the 3rd party? 

--- Quote End ---  

IP protection, this is why I want to generate an IP of my VHDL code.