Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Generate an IP core using Quartus Standard Edition 30-days evaluation period

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have experience with other FPGA manufacturer and respective tools an now I have to send my VHDL code to other entity/person that will run in an INTEL FPGA (Stratix IV). 

That entity/person has knowledge in INTEL FPGAs and respective tools but I do not intend to send directly the source code, which was written in pure VHDL. 

Since in the near future I do not see that need to work with INTEL FPGAs, I was thinking the following:  

To use the Intel Quartus Prime Standard Edition but just the 30-days evaluation period to generate an IP core from my VHDL code; 

- Is it possible? 

- Being the IP core generated with Quartus evaluation license, will the generated IP has any limitation (in period of time, or other) ? So, is it possible the to use the generated IP core forever ? 

- Since, I do not intend to provide the source code, is it possible to encrypt/lock the IP core (even with the Quartus evaluation license) ? 

Is there any documentation related with this issue, namely limitations with the Quartus 30-days evaluation period and the generation of our own IP cores ? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What kind of ip core are you trying to provide. The trial version won't produce programming files or time limited IP cores.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What kind of ip core are you trying to provide. The trial version won't produce programming files or time limited IP cores. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for your fast reply. 

I have my own VHDL code (written in pure VHDL) which performs several specific functions of an algorithm. 

I do not intend to produce programming files (bitstream), I just want to generate an IP from my VHDL code an sent it to other entity.  

Then, the other entity will receive that IP and integrate it in its project/development. 

The doubt is the following: with the Quartus 30-days evaluation period, am I able to generate an IP without any limitation (in time or other) ? 

Therefore, my IP (generated with Quartus 30-days evaluation period) can be used by the other entity (with Quartus licensed) in the next years without any limitation, correct ? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think features like partial configuration and netlist generation are only available with a full licence.  

Any reason you cannot just provide the source code to the 3rd party?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think features like partial configuration and netlist generation are only available with a full licence.  

Any reason you cannot just provide the source code to the 3rd party? 

--- Quote End ---  

IP protection, this is why I want to generate an IP of my VHDL code.
0 Kudos