Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16593 Discussions

HLS Compiler (Prime 17.1): change GCC version in use

MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I am trying to compile a C-written component to RTL with HLS Compiler Prime Standard in version 17.1.0.

I can call g++ directly to compile the C file for simulation (this works fine), but I must use i++ itself to compile it for my target architecture (MAX10 in this case).

I tried: $ i++ -march="MAX 10" calibration_hls.c

The problem is that i++ includes files from gcc/g++ 4.8.5 and the build fails. As 4.8.5 as not a supported version, I am trying to use 4.4.7 which is also installed on my workstation.

However I cannot have i++ to refer to the correct GCC version. I have tried aliases and setting CC and CXX variables at the beginning of my command, but none worked. The only thing that made a difference was the following:

$ i++ -I /usr/include/c++/4.4.7 -march="MAX 10" calibration_hls.c

This, however, also fails, but in a different way.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Please consider that I am using Prime Standard so I do not have access to the switch --gcc-toolchain and that I do not have root rights on the workstation (which runs CentOS 7).

I attached two files to this message. i++Cmdresult.txt is the output of my first command, the other file is the output of the second command.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I am afraid I can't do as you suggest, because this version of gcc is useful for other people on the workstation.

However, this gave me an idea that I think is successful. At least I can obtain a "a.prj" directory, seemingly populated. Since I am a complete beginner in HLS, I can't say if everything worked fine.

What I did is the following :

I copied gcc and g++ executables from /usr/bin to ~/bin/ (a new, personal directory). I then added this directory to the beginning of my $PATH variable.

Then I wrote a small TCL script to find what are the necessary include directories for gcc/g++ 4.4.7.

I can then run :

$ i++ `./includes.tcl` -march="MAX 10" --fpga-only calibration_hls.c

This does the trick.

I will continue with this for a bit to see if no new problem emerge, so I leave the topic opened until then.

Regards.

PS: .tcl files are not supported, so I zipped it before attaching it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi,

can you uninstall the 4.8.5 version of gcc and try to follow the instructions mentioned in the link to work with 4.4.7 version of gcc.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/hls/archives/ug-hls-getting-started-17-1.pdf

Thanks and Regards

Anil

0 Kudos
MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

I am afraid I can't do as you suggest, because this version of gcc is useful for other people on the workstation.

However, this gave me an idea that I think is successful. At least I can obtain a "a.prj" directory, seemingly populated. Since I am a complete beginner in HLS, I can't say if everything worked fine.

What I did is the following :

I copied gcc and g++ executables from /usr/bin to ~/bin/ (a new, personal directory). I then added this directory to the beginning of my $PATH variable.

Then I wrote a small TCL script to find what are the necessary include directories for gcc/g++ 4.4.7.

I can then run :

$ i++ `./includes.tcl` -march="MAX 10" --fpga-only calibration_hls.c

This does the trick.

I will continue with this for a bit to see if no new problem emerge, so I leave the topic opened until then.

Regards.

PS: .tcl files are not supported, so I zipped it before attaching it.

0 Kudos
AnilErinch_A_Intel

Hi ,

Glad to know that you found a work around.

Thanks for sharing the same with the community.

Thanks and Regards

Anil

0 Kudos